Handsaw for Smaller Splits
Hello!

I have a bit of an unconventional saw question, considering this is for burning wood and not making something out of it. But, there is a lot or great hand tool knowledge here. I am wanting to cut smaller splits (2" - 3" in diameter) from 12" - 14" long to around 8" for an offset smoker. Any suggestions on what will work well and allow me to hold the split on a stump while cutting?  Thank you!
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
Hi titanxt,

look for a smaller panel saw with 7-9 tpi crosscut. Stanley sells acceptable ones, but not resharpenable.
And: a dovel in the stump.

Cheers
Pedder
What makes a saw not-resharpenable?  I just heard of a saw where the maker intends for you to replace the blade fairly regularly.
I have some cheap crosscut saws that seem to work really well. Probably can't be sharpened.
(03-19-2024, 05:37 PM)EricU Wrote: What makes a saw not-resharpenable?  I just heard of a saw where the maker intends for you to replace the blade fairly regularly.
I have some cheap crosscut saws that seem to work really well. Probably can't be sharpened.

It’s due to the teeth being “induction” or “impulse” hardened.  Much harder teeth, last three times as long, but can’t be filed so are tossed when dull.  You can tell them by the rainbow or black discoloration right at the teeth.
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com