Suggestion on how to make this? (Hands holding a cross)
My in-law parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary and was asked if there was a way to make this out of wood.

My first thought was to just bandsaw it out but I'm not sure how to connect the hands to the cross without it looking weird.
Then I thought maybe I could create an inlay pattern in a block of wood but that sounds nightmarish and I wouldn't know how to begin.

Any thoughts?

[Image: icon-handsholdingcross.jpg]
That would a simple project for a CNC if you wanted to just do a relief carve, or pour epoxy in the relief, or even do any inlay.  Here's what a simple relief carve would look like.  you would use the same piece to pour epoxy into and then sand flush.  For an inlay it's a bit more involved as you have to make a female and a male, glue the two together, and then cut/sand off the exposed part of the male piece(s). 

[Image: AP1GczMsM6_BE6nfzZhIao0sQ70cyhNYTsqiJX6B...authuser=1]

This took a couple of minutes to create and would take only a few minutes to carve.  I'd be happy to make you one for the price of shipping.  

John
(03-20-2024, 12:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That would a simple project for a CNC if you wanted to just do a relief carve, or pour epoxy in the relief, or even do any inlay.  Here's what a simple relief carve would look like.  you would use the same piece to pour epoxy into and then sand flush.  For an inlay it's a bit more involved as you have to make a female and a male, glue the two together, and then cut/sand off the exposed part of the male piece(s). 

This took a couple of minutes to create and would take only a few minutes to carve.  I'd be happy to make you one for the price of shipping.  

John

Wow! You did that quick!
They replied back and said they would prefer it cut out but if that is the only option that to go with that. I'll let you know as I wrap my head around how to join the two that doesn't look silly.

Thank you for your reply.

Btw, that was super nice of you to offer to do that.
(03-20-2024, 12:39 PM)themoon Wrote: Wow! You did that quick!
They replied back and said they would prefer it cut out but if that is the only option that to go with that. I'll let you know as I wrap my head around how to join the two that doesn't look silly.

Thank you for your reply.

Btw, that was super nice of you to offer to do that.

Maybe something like this?

[Image: AP1GczNfo8dGwuDgHk0PhuZ_3IYSAqexskTb5bu0...authuser=1]

John
That would be easy to do with a scroll saw.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(03-20-2024, 03:24 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Maybe something like this?

[Image: AP1GczNfo8dGwuDgHk0PhuZ_3IYSAqexskTb5bu0...authuser=1]

John

This is not a very difficult scroll saw project and would look quite nice.
It’s doable with drill and jigsaw but probably more work and sanding.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
They like this design. I don't have a scroll saw though, like the one tool I don't have.i know a friendly neighbor though who has a cnc, see if they are willing to help. Otherwise i might hit jteneyck up. Thank you all for replying
(03-20-2024, 03:27 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: That would be easy to do with a scroll saw.

my thought exactly. I would stack cut 4 -1/8" ( easier for me to control the blade over trying to cut 1 piece of 1/8" plus multiples are always better
Smile )Baltic birch ply to cut then mount on blacked out backers
(03-20-2024, 12:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: That would a simple project for a CNC if you wanted to just do a relief carve, or pour epoxy in the relief, or even do any inlay.  Here's what a simple relief carve would look like.  you would use the same piece to pour epoxy into and then sand flush.  For an inlay it's a bit more involved as you have to make a female and a male, glue the two together, and then cut/sand off the exposed part of the male piece(s). 

[Image: AP1GczMsM6_BE6nfzZhIao0sQ70cyhNYTsqiJX6B...authuser=1]

John

John, I see your using Vectric too.  I don't have Vcarve, just Cut2D Pro but it does everything I want it to do.

Do you do much 3d carving?

What CAM program do you use?
(03-26-2024, 07:19 PM)iublue Wrote: John, I see your using Vectric too.  I don't have Vcarve, just Cut2D Pro but it does everything I want it to do.

Do you do much 3d carving?

What CAM program do you use?

Yes, I have V-Carve Pro.  I use my CNC mostly to enhance my woodworking pursuits, but occasionally I do some 3D carves.  I'll probably do more after I get a spindle and learn Aspire so I can design my own 3D objects, but that's down the road and a lot of money to upgrade to it, so....  I can see adding a 4th axis or a different machine with a built-in 4th axis at some point, too.  

The controller on my CNC converts the toolpaths I create in V-Carve into the g-code needed for it to run, no intermediate software needed.  

John