Moisture Meter Suggestion
Hello! Another moisture meter recommendation request. I would prefer a pinless if not to $$.

Thank you!
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
I'll be wathcing this, I'm still torn about whther I need one...and if "yes" which one do I want to buy.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Being partial to items made in the USA, the Ligno-Scanner D by Lignomat is an attractive option, but the cost is a bit high at $210.

https://lignomatusa.com/product/ligno-sc...ure-meter/

The one negative about the D model is it measures at a depth of 3/4". I can only assume this will cause some inaccuracy when measuring wood that is less than 3/4" thick. The SD model does both 1/4" and 3/4" depths, which would alleviate this problem, but it is $300.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
I have an older Wagner pinless that's probably 15 years old. Got it when I got a load of fresh cut cherry and dried it under my deck. Meter worked like it was supposed to.

Just looked at comparable new Wagner models ...$$...ouch!
I have the Ligno SD.  I really like that it reads at either 1/4" or 3/4".  It's not of any benefit with 4/4 stock, obviously, but with thicker stock it helps you understand whether or not the wood truly is at some equilibrium value.  I've had 8/4 oak that measured 6% at 1/4" and over 10% at 3/4", which shows there's a big gradient in MC and if you were hoping it was dry, you would be very disappointed if you used it.  

If you are buying KD lumber from a reputable supplier I would question the need for any moisture meter.  Buy it, bring it into your shop, let it acclimate for a couple of weeks, and use it.  But if you buy lumber from a small operator, or dry your own lumber, a moisture meter is a very helpful instrument to have. 

John
(03-21-2024, 09:23 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you are buying KD lumber from a reputable supplier I would question the need for any moisture meter. 

John

That's kind of what has me questioning the need (for me). I typically buy KD from 2 high quality suppliers...but as I watch FB Marketplace I see some deals and one might be useful for them.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Why pinless? If you are checking MC for a stack of lumber, just pin it near a section you will cut out anyhow.
Is there a lot of variation in MC from the depth of the pin and lets say the 3/4” depth reading of the pinless?
(03-21-2024, 02:15 PM)titanxt Wrote: Is there a lot of variation in MC from the depth of the pin and lets say the 3/4” depth reading of the pinless?

There can be, as I described above.  I have a mini Ligno pin meter, too.  It reads just about what the SD reads at 1/4".  But it has no clue what the MC is deeper in a thick piece of wood.  

John
(03-21-2024, 09:45 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That's kind of what has me questioning the need (for me). I typically buy KD from 2 high quality suppliers...but as I watch FB Marketplace I see some deals and one might be useful for them.

Glad to see you made it through the storm unharmed, Fred.  Sure was sad to read some others weren't so fortunate.  I hope they get back on their feet soon.  

I would want to have a moisture meter if buying lumber on FB Marketplace.  Some folks selling wood are completely honest.  Others less so.  I would at least ask how they dried the wood, if that's what they are claiming, and how they measured the MC.  Answers to those questions will tell you a lot.  

Fresh or recently cut = green
Air dried = Lots of questions.  Where? For how long?  What's the MC?  And look for evidence of bugs.
Air dried in a barn for X years = better, but what's the MC?  And definitely look for bugs.  
KD = where's your kiln?  and what's the MC? 

John