table tops & C channel
I'm looking for some advice guys. I am building a gaming table. Basically a large coffee table with a sunken 'vault' in the middle of it, but it will also have a solid top that can be lifted off. The top is solid cherry 1" thick cut in 3 sections. Each section is about 20"x36". The top of course is there so the table can be used in a conventional way when not actually gaming.
My issue is that these top sections will literally just set on the table and not be fastened in any way. 
So to break the question down to it's simplest form; If left to it's own devices, is a 20"x36" x1" solid cherry panel likely to warp? The grain runs in the long direction. I know it will move (expand/contract) but will it twist? It goes against my grain - if you'll excuse the pun- but I'm thinking of using C channel inset into the bottom side to help hold it flat. I've built many tables and never had an issue, but I've never built one where the top just free floats. These tops are already glued up and have been setting in my shop for a couple of weeks (no finish) and so far they are still flat, but to further my angst, the finished project will be moving from Michigan to Georgia.
Make a test vault using 2 x 4's or similar, the same size as what the table will have.  Put it on a hard surface and then put the solid wood top sections on top.  If they don't cup in a week or two, I think you'll be good.  My guess, however, is that they are going to cup, just like leaving a piece of solid wood flat on your bench does if the RH changes.    

John
My vote, take action now.  I believe the odds are great the panels will cup if left alone.  "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" or something like that.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Why not create something to allow airflow under the tops?
Even 4 small feet per unit should work.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(03-27-2024, 02:40 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Why not create something to allow airflow under the tops?
Even 4 small feet per unit should work.

I could put them on feet, I'm just not confident that airflow alone would keep them from moving. I've pretty much decided to go 'better safe than sorry' and inset some braces.  Different if it were going to stay at my house where I could keep an eye on them. I appreciate the input!