Battery Powered Chainsaw
Matt’s suggestion of a sawzall is a good one. Those pruning blades do a number on green timber. I’ve not used the carbide version he linked but the plain steel version are not recommended for dry wood. They overheat and lose their temper quickly. Any decent demolition blade will gnaw through dead branches in the 4” range pretty fast. If you have one, invest in a couple blades and do a test drive before buying a new saw.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

The Milwaukee green wood pruning blades work pretty good.
They are a bit grabby, one wants the saw tight against the branch. Use the orbital setting if your saw has it, helps clear the sawdust from the cut.

Ed
Not what you asked, but I have had a corded electric for years and, except for the cord, it is as good as a gas model. I've cut down small trees with it (8-10" trunk). Around small property, the cord is not an issue.
Thanks everyone, these are the responses I was looking for.
I don't expect it to replace a gas saw, I have neighbors for that. This is just the occasional yard cleanup.

I have a sawzall, 2 as a matter of fact. I'm probably selling my corded Milwaukee and keeping the cordless Makita. I do in fact use the Makita a lot. The blades are only in the 10" range, the cordless has an 18" bar.

The Hart 18" saw is going for $368 at the moment, with battery and charger. I am going to look at other brands before I buy one.

I appreciate the comment about the chain being a different size, I'll probably get a second chain at the same time.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I've had the Ego chainsaw, with the 18" blade, for about four years. My needs are basically the same use you intend. It's worked very well. I use the 7.5 Ah battery that came with my lawnmower.

When I pushed the saw/battery by cutting firewood lengths from an ash trunk I'd had taken down (borers), I got almost 30 minutes of solid cutting from each charge--so it's good for general clean-up but it's not something you'd want to take out for serious cutting.
I have pruning blades for a sawzall. I use them to cut roots in the dirt. My Silky Sugoi (hand saw) will out cut a sawzall and take less energy all day long (literally...not uncommon I use that saw all day long). About any Silky will...but that's the most aggressive. Tsurugi is another really good one.

Battery saws:
Makita 18V is OK, but not huge strides above a good handsaw. I recently was given a narrow nose bar and and it's great for getting in tight spots. I've heard good things about the 36V

Milwaukee...I got their 18V top handle saw (2826-20T) a few months ago. With an 8AmpHour battery it out cuts a 35cc gas saw. A 12Ah battery will keep doing it for a couple hundred cuts. My old gas top handle saw lost its place in the truck. I haven't run their 2727-20 rear handle saw, but I suspect it performs about the same...for less money. If you have an 8Ah battery it's $250-275 for that saw.

Don't expect too much from any saw with a weak battery. I think most platforms have decent options if you are willing to pay for the battery. I strongly recommend battery saws for anyone only using a saw once or twice a year for small clean up.

Last point: don't forget the bar and chain oil. I find it's easy to forget when I'm not putting gas in! We use canola oil...but that doesn't sit well if unused for a year.
I’m heavily invested in Milwaukee. I have the rear handle saw. With a full 8 Ahr or better a 12, the amount of work it does is amazing. Fresh out of the box, it astounded a cousin that sold firewood for a living. He had a much better experience base to compare and thought it was a pretty solid performer. We only cut up a couple of 10-12” trees that day but his opinion was in size and weight class it beat gas hands down. I need to get the old gas burned up in my other saw.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(04-04-2024, 07:11 PM)grwold Wrote: I've had the Ego chainsaw, with the 18" blade, for about four years.  My needs are basically the same use you intend.  It's worked very well.  I use the 7.5 Ah battery that came with my lawnmower.

When I pushed the saw/battery by cutting firewood lengths from an ash trunk I'd had taken down (borers), I got almost 30 minutes of solid cutting from each charge--so it's good for general clean-up but it's not something you'd want to take out for serious cutting.

Good to now.  Since I already have a battery, the cost of entry is pretty low.  Thanks.  

John
Regarding bar oil, my Ryobi pole saw will leak all of the bar oil out of the reservoir if you let it set awhile.  I usually have to drain it after I use it, because it doesn't get used all that often and makes a big mess otherwise.

Not sure if that is typical of the pole saws or not, but this one has done it since it was brand new.  I think the manual even recommended draining the bar oil out for storage.  Otherwise it seems to be fine for my purposes.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Not a unique problem Bill. Some of my saws siphon the bar oil, some don't.
Its a real pita...

Ed