Hollow Form
I am a fairly new woodturner and I want to start learning how to turn hollow forms.  Looking for suggestions on which brand, type, etc, more experienced woodturners of hollow forms use and/or would recommend.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance...
I use the Carter Hollow Roller system and have been happy with it. There are more simple, less expensive systems out there that do a good job too though.

Frank
(04-05-2024, 08:10 AM)fptahoe Wrote: I am a fairly new woodturner and I want to start learning how to turn hollow forms.  Looking for suggestions on which brand, type, etc, more experienced woodturners of hollow forms use and/or would recommend.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

More information about what you want to do (especially size and shape that you want to accomplish) and what kind of lathe you have would help folks know how to be helpful.

My first class in hollow forms, the instructor liked doing hollow forms (vases) ~3" tall. He made tools out of allen wrenches for cutting the inside.

It makes a difference whether you want to make 3" vases, 12" urns, hollow-form salad bowls, or 5' tall vases.

For medium to larger vessels, the Clark (no relation) system mentioned by Frank is in the Cadillac range.

For medium sizes, articulated arm systems and captive D-handle systems are higher end. The Easy Wood tool hollowers are liked by many.

Good tool rests are important. I am fond of the low-rise Robust comfort rests.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-09-2024, 07:34 PM)iclark Wrote: More information about what you want to do (especially size and shape that you want to accomplish) and what kind of lathe you have would help folks know how to be helpful.

My first class in hollow forms, the instructor liked doing hollow forms (vases) ~3" tall. He made tools out of allen wrenches for cutting the inside.

It makes a difference whether you want to make 3" vases, 12" urns, hollow-form salad bowls, or 5' tall vases.

For medium to larger vessels, the Clark (no relation) system mentioned by Frank is in the Cadillac range.

For medium sizes, articulated arm systems and captive D-handle systems are higher end. The Easy Wood tool hollowers are liked by many.

Good tool rests are important. I am fond of the low-rise Robust comfort rests.

Thank you for the reply.  I am looking to start with something small - as you mention and 3" or 5" vase.  I was looking for one or two tools to start out with to give it a try, rather than the "Cadillac" mentioned by Frank.  That can come down the line if I would like to pursue larger items.  I have done bowls and much work between centers, have done a small "mug", using bowl gouge and scrapers.  I have a Robust lathe.  I will check out the Easy Wood tool site (I have the round edge carbide scraper from them).  Thanks again for your input and any other advice.  FPT...
(04-05-2024, 08:10 AM)fptahoe Wrote: I am a fairly new woodturner and I want to start learning how to turn hollow forms.  Looking for suggestions on which brand, type, etc, more experienced woodturners of hollow forms use and/or would recommend.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

I have the Simple Hollowing System. I like it.

Attached Files Image(s)