Blunt chisel technique with Master Plane Maker
Bill Carter...simple to make {modify} and very efficient at wood {and glue} removal...give them a new life and put those cheap chisels to good use.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_bp5Lp0To
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the link, nice video.
That was interesting!
Thanks Jack! I'll be trying this technique. Might need to try on brass, also.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-10-2024, 05:03 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Thanks Jack!  I'll be trying this technique.  Might need to try on brass, also.

It should work pretty well on brass, Tony...You may need to give the blunt edge a little negative rake, tho...Worth a try....I am a big fan of Bill Carter..He makes fantastic planes out of scrap brass..love to listen to him speak in his Brit accent also.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-10-2024, 07:56 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............
It should work pretty well on brass, Tony...You may need to give the blunt edge a little negative rake, tho...Worth a try....I am a big fan of Bill Carter..He makes fantastic planes out of scrap brass..love to listen to him speak in his Brit accent also.

Tried the technique on a piece of mahogany and a piece of cherry: works wonderfully! The biggest issue was that the mahogany was already smoothed, so I had to angle the chisel (1/2 bevel edged) into the wood a smidgen. The surface left was great on both species.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(04-10-2024, 08:26 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Tried the technique on a piece of mahogany and a piece of cherry:  works wonderfully!  The biggest issue was that the mahogany was already smoothed, so I had to angle the chisel (1/2 bevel edged) into the wood a smidgen.  The surface left was great on both species.
Good to know, Tony!!!! I guess, like most things, it takes a little experimentation to develop the desired skills. Bill Carter makes it look so easy!!!
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the post Jack. I've never seen any of his videos before. Plan to check more out. It is a very interesting concept. He does make it look easy.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
(04-10-2024, 10:12 AM)Grandpa Dave Wrote: Thanks for the post Jack. I've never seen any of his videos before. Plan to check more out. It is a very interesting concept. He does make it look easy.

[Image: D3-D44-CAF-A990-4-EFE-A99-E-BB5-AACAE79-E2.jpg]

Get off my lawn !
Upset