Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,408
» Latest member: Luxuryhome
» Forum threads: 64,974
» Forum posts: 1,006,062

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 541 online users.
» 11 Member(s) | 527 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Facebook, Ken T., DickA, DaveM_7766, jstrong, Howard Pollack

Latest Threads
The Plane has landed
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: C. in Indy
1 minute ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 110
Stanley #80
Last Post: tablesawtom
23 minutes ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 75
Ortho Weed Clear
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Gary G™
53 minutes ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 228
Finishing Walnut
Forum: Finishing
Last Post: crokett™
1 hour ago
» Replies: 10
» Views: 251
mulch options for grass s...
Last Post: fredhargis
4 hours ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 113
A case to store a few chi...
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 07:58 PM
» Replies: 24
» Views: 1,002
Retractable Electrical Ho...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 06:47 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 285
Workbench
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Stwood_
Yesterday, 06:10 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 583
Is bolt pattern for press...
Last Post: Petertaylor
Yesterday, 04:41 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 184
Free ww plans
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Rick LoDico
Yesterday, 02:38 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 91

Cordless Impact Drivers - 1/4" vs. 1/2" - Bosch vs. Rigid?
Posted by: giradman - 05-19-2018, 10:50 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (31)

Hi All - I own a number of cordless drills, including an 18V Bosch; also have a number of 18V Rigid tools - lately I've been driving holes into concrete and brick (using a hammer drill - no problem making the holes) and also making a number of jigs w/ threaded inserts - the drill drivers do not always allow enough torque to fully seat the fastening items - I've never owned an impact driver, but have been looking at a number of 18V Bosch and Rigid offerings (a number shown below).

My questions: 1) Any personal experience/comments for these brands/models; 2) Will the 1/4" hex models serve my needs or should I go to the 1/2" units; and 3) Know that the 'brushless' motor are the best choice, but really needed for short duration use?  Thanks for any comments.  Dave
Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

WTB Ashley Iles chisels
Posted by: wrb - 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (6)

Looking for a set of AI bench chisels.  Let me know if you are looking to sell yours.

Print this item

Pan-Mulato wood
Posted by: DaveParkis - 05-18-2018, 03:50 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (5)

Anybody ever hear of it? I had some large boards that were labeled as "Boxwood", but the boards were way bigger than I was told Boxwood could be so I sent a chunk to the Forestry Service and they identified it as "Calycophyllum", more commonly known as Pan-Mulato. I've never heard of it before and have no idea what it would be good for.

Print this item

Someone was looking for sandpaper.....
Posted by: Bob Atchison - 05-18-2018, 01:43 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (1)

https://woodturnerswonders.com/products/...-3-00-each

Print this item

$4 find at a Garage Sale
Posted by: bandit571 - 05-18-2018, 11:19 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (3)

Well, actually, I spent $9 total.   Picked a 50s era WS 5-1/2 ppi Rip saw for $5.....Been cleaning and rehabbing that last night...

The $4 find?
Confused
Uhoh 

Well, I did get a price break for that missing nib, and another for the split handle
Rolleyes  

Wasn't much of an etch, either..
Rolleyes  

Henry Disston...there was a faint "7" under the stamp..

Some funny-looking bolts...
Winkgrin 

So, for the whopping sum of $4, I have a Disston (no sons) No. 7, 26" long, 10 ppi.  Medallion and stamp on the plate SEEM to date this to about 1848-1854 era. 

Just getting the rust off the plate, and a bit of shine to the brass, for now....while I figure out why I need yet another 10 ppi crosscut saw...

Print this item

Best $30.00 bucks I ever spent on a used power tool
Posted by: Belle City Woodworking - 05-18-2018, 11:12 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (6)

I found this Skil 449 3" Belt Sander on eBay so I rolled the dice on it.  And I have to say that I am very impressed with this.  I used it today and it takes material off in a hurry and leaves a great flat surface.  I am going to clean it up and change the chain grease and oil in it.  

[Image: IMG_2024.jpg]

I think the reason I got it so cheap was a little chip out of the corner that DOES NOT affect the way this baby works.

[Image: IMG_2022.jpg]

I will smooth that area out when I take it apart and clean it all up.

Happy camper here!

John

Print this item

SOLD - Ashley Iles Butt Chisels
Posted by: Belle City Woodworking - 05-18-2018, 07:35 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (5)

I am doing a little shop assessment and cleaning and it appears that over the years I have over bought  [Image: yellowrolleyes.gif] 
Therefore, I am doing a little shop cleaning, and offering some items here for your consideration. 

Here I have a set of Ashley Iles Butt Chisels.  The sizes are 1/4" 1/2" 3/4" and 1"   The Chisels are SOLD.   I accept PayPal.  Check or MO is fine also.

[Image: IMG_2053.jpg]

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for looking,
John

Print this item

SOLD - Diefenbacher Paring Chisels
Posted by: Belle City Woodworking - 05-18-2018, 07:30 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (6)

I am doing a little shop assessment and cleaning and it appears that over the years I have over bought 
Rolleyes  Therefore, I will be doing a little shop cleaning and offering some items here for your consideration.  I have a set of Diefenbacher Paring Chisels that I have never used, they have not been honed for use yet.  The sizes are 3/8" 3/4" and 1"   The chisels are SOLD.   I accept PayPal.  Check or MO is fine also.

[Image: IMG_2051.jpg]

If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks for looking!
John

Print this item

Rubbing out Arm-R-Seal Gloss
Posted by: Woodchukker - 05-17-2018, 07:50 PM - Forum: Finishing - Replies (7)

I will be finishing two cherry end tables and a coffee table soon.  I would like to try Arm-R-Seal wipe-on.  I am considering using gloss to build up the finish and then rubbing it out with pumice or rottenstone to bring the gloss down to what looks good to me.  My question is if Arm-R-Seal rubs out well using rubbing compounds?  Is is easy to achieve a uniform sheen?  I would wait until the finish is well cured for sure.

Thanks

Print this item

Another wobbly table
Posted by: Busdriver - 05-17-2018, 05:24 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (13)

Apparently one of my machines is out of adjustment. This is the second wobbly table that I have had in 2 months.
I'm building a farmhouse table. I make alot of these. Today I installed the top and it is wobbly. When I take the top off, no wobble.
The top looks flat.
What do I do to fix this?

Eddie

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.