Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,404
» Latest member: ddunn802
» Forum threads: 64,946
» Forum posts: 1,005,561

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 427 online users.
» 18 Member(s) | 406 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Facebook, BAdams, Rick_B, fall, woodworker501, page2171, Poppa Cap, boardmaker, Gary™, goaliedad, wing nut, 6270_Productions, Lupo, fixtureman

Latest Threads
Presenting: The RAS Mite...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: greenacres2
1 hour ago
» Replies: 17
» Views: 327
Handheld welder????
Last Post: Stwood_
9 hours ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 184
NOT another $21 plane
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: MarkSingleton
10 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 61
SOLD! M.S. Bickford H&Rs ...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: UpstateNYdude
11 hours ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 309
DeWalt Tool belt clips
Last Post: DieselDennis
Yesterday, 11:36 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 180
Edge planing technique is...
Last Post: Steve Hamlin
Yesterday, 04:25 AM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 348
Wood choice for replaceme...
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: mike4244
Yesterday, 02:31 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 402
Made some router dust tod...
Last Post: MstrCarpenter
04-18-2024, 10:41 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 380
A case to store a few chi...
Last Post: Stwood_
04-18-2024, 02:03 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 654
SOLD! Christopher Schwarz...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: UpstateNYdude
04-18-2024, 01:17 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 291

GFCI Outlet Problem
Posted by: Large Wooden Badger - 08-07-2017, 07:14 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (29)

I have a GFCI outlet in garage. It also controls another outlet in garage and an outside outlet by front door and one by back door.

Noticed the outlet out back wasn't working. Went to reset GFCI and it wouldn't. I had a recent failure on the GFCI one by the pool equipment so I assumed I would just replace it. I did and it trips and resets, all is good, has the little indicator light. But if I plug something into it it doesn't work. Did some looking and the other outlet in garage is all burnt up. Major failure, and hasn't been used recently. So I inspect it all, wire insulation is melted up by ends but enough slack to cut the damage off and install a new outlet.

Still no go. What next? Replace the breaker? I had a breaker fail on the pool equipment about six months ago. Seems odd that would be the case, but then again it didn't trip when the outlet burned up. But yet the indicator light is working on GFCI outlet so that appears to indicate power?

I'm stumped before calling an electrician I thought I would go ahead and replace breaker. House is about 15 years old.

And I don't know what caused the issue in the first place. We have had some storms recently.

Print this item

Veneer
Posted by: PaDutchman - 08-07-2017, 06:53 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (12)

I'm making 1/4" (11"X19") panels for a bed. I'm planning on veneering Birdseye maple veneer to either MDF or plywood. I'm aware of the general guidelines that you must veneer both sides of the panel. Is that true also if I veneer on plywood? Best to use contact cement, PVA, or other glue? Appreciate any suggestions since in spite of considerable woodworking experience, this is my first go at veneering.

Print this item

Ridgid Jointer - Chicago area
Posted by: meikj - 08-07-2017, 06:36 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (2)

Square base classic Ridgid jointer.  Works great, some minor rust marks on infeed table.  Comes with extra Freud blades, blade setting jig.  Nice mobile base.
$350

Local pickup only.  Have to get rid of a bunch of shop tools for an upcoming sudden move.  :-(

-- John

Print this item

Textured paint on bathroom walls?
Posted by: Wild Turkey - 08-07-2017, 04:04 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (9)

We're redoing the basement bathroom.  It was half-done when I took a fall and messed up good shoulder and it's been a while since we worked on it.

Some of the mud and tape work was not sanded, then LOML decided to paint it anyway.
Rolleyes

And one wall has been papered and only some of it was taken off before it was painted. 
Rolleyes
No

So we're thinking the best option is textured paint.

We've done a ceiling by mixing drywall mud into paint and rolling on with a shaggy roller.

Any good ideas on how to get this finished?
Confused

Print this item

Miter Saws ideas
Posted by: ClarkOP - 08-07-2017, 04:03 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (9)

Anyone have thoughts on which miter saw would be the best for segment turning? Which ones have the ability to make "fine" angle adjustments to allow for segment rings with near perfect joints, or is that too much to hope for with a miter saw?

Print this item

Repairing bandsaw blades
Posted by: blackhat - 08-07-2017, 03:27 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (11)

What's the preferred alloy and flux when silver brazing bandsaw blades?

Print this item

Stanley 60 vs 360 miter boxes
Posted by: SteveVoigt - 08-07-2017, 11:41 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (2)

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is much difference between the 60 and 360 miter boxes? I have the 60 and am wondering if it's worth $50 to upgrade. The castings that hold/guide the saw look beefier in the 360 (in pics), but I don't really know. If anyone has personal experience, let me know. Thanks!

Print this item

How to turn this
Posted by: FrankAtl - 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (9)

I'm trying to figure out how to turn the detail in the image below and can't figure out how. It seems I saw a video on this once upon a time but I can't find it. Anyone have any links to a video showing this process?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Pickings, from the world's longest yard sale
Posted by: bandit571 - 08-07-2017, 09:19 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (7)

And, we only went a little ways....found a few items here and there...

$18 spent on these items.  Square is a Stanley No. 20......

Rehabbed a couple of the treasures..so far.   Saw a larger saw..
Winkgrin

When you have to back the tractor up to a saw, to hook onto the saw's driveshaft with the PTO
Big eek
Just a little chop saw ( didn't have the room in the van)
Walls of toys..er tools, at one store...
Uhoh

One of several...
Cool prices were a tad too high, for me ( called FRUGAL...not cheap
Winkgrin )

Maybe next year, we can go a day or two earlier, and start a bit sooner in the day....My son, grandson , and Granddaughter  all went along..Fun day, though.

Print this item

Stanley Xcelite
Posted by: blackhat - 08-06-2017, 10:35 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - No Replies

Screwdrivers. Anybody using the interchangeable bit flavour of this?  I have the stubby handle and a handful of driver bits and nut driver bits to fit it. Yours if you want them.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.