Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,393
» Latest member: truwelborn
» Forum threads: 64,765
» Forum posts: 1,002,462

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 506 online users.
» 0 Member(s) | 504 Guest(s)
Bing, Google

Latest Threads
Interesting counterpoint ...
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Barry Johnson
5 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 78
Bridgewood tablesaw, info...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Marc
7 hours ago
» Replies: 8
» Views: 195
PM66, MM-16
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Rick LoDico
8 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 60
#7 for sale
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: tablesawtom
9 hours ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 391
Casting plane at home
Last Post: Bencuri
Yesterday, 01:43 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 70
Lane Acclaim Table Build
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: MarkSingleton
Yesterday, 09:52 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 299
Stanley #8 Blades & Tote ...
Last Post: Admiral
Yesterday, 09:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 154
All you might want to kno...
Last Post: Timberwolf
03-27-2024, 10:37 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1,639
$$$ to clear land?
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
03-27-2024, 08:36 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 4,701
Trestle table and benches...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Stwood_
03-27-2024, 08:17 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 873

SECRET SANTA -- 3 Days left
Posted by: Santa's_Elves - 11-02-2019, 07:26 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - No Replies

Only 9 have signed up..  Where is the Christmas Spirit?  See previous posts for instructions.

Santa's Elves

Print this item

Tormek Accessories
Posted by: Scott W - 11-01-2019, 08:11 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (4)

Tormek Accessories...prices are shipped to 48 states. 

Truing and dressing tool. TT-50. $50. Used one time. 

Stone grader. SP-650. $32. Never used.

Knife jig. SVM-45. $33. Never used.

Prices can be adjusted on multiple purchased.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Help me design a double router table top
Posted by: ajkoontz - 11-01-2019, 03:30 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (7)

For a long time I've had two benchtop router tables sitting on a cart and I've decided to clean up this set-up and want to run my ideas thru the WN braintrust. I am pretty set on having two routers in one top as I've gotten used to having 2 routers set up for matched bits, etc. I'm going to need to buy some parts, but some of the parts will be scavenged off my current tables. Below are my ideas, and would appreciate any feedback, criticism, etc.

• top will be 1/2 solid surface material glued to 2x 3/4" MDF (I have a piece of 30"x48" solid surface material that I'm not using)
  • fence #1 will be Lee Valley split fence that I already own, fence #2 will be 80/20 extrusion that I have ordered. Will need to buy 2"x3" aluminum angle extrusion to hold the fences together and allow for attachment to table
  • Plan on buying combination t-track/ miter slot for each side- What are the optimum dimensions away from the bit to put the miter fence?
  • I'm going to buy at least one lift for a PC 890 router- 99% sure a Jessem Router Lift 2. The other router I want to use is a Hitachi M12V. Looking at either a router lift or router raizer for this one.
  • Planning on building a Norm style cabinet for this top to sit on
  • Any thoughts on the dimensions of the top shown below? I'm trying to optimize the sheet of SS that I have is basically how I came up with these dimensions, but I can't go too big either because space is an issue in my shop.
  • Any thoughts about any of my other ideas?

Print this item

Miter Saw Dust Hood Recommendations / Fast Cap or Rousseau?
Posted by: fall - 11-01-2019, 06:45 AM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (11)

I am in need of dust collection for my miter saw. I had recently had to down size from my garage shop which had a complete cyclone system (sold) and now have a temporary basement shop. Currently I do not have any dust control. I do plan to utilize some shop vac’s that I have and plan on using them for different tools. In some of my reviews of miter saw dust collection I came across these miters saw dust hoods. They seem to get pretty good reviews from the web but I thought I would ask here on the site to see if anyone has used them or has them. Basically, I only see these two brands and each has two models. Please let me know what your thoughts are on these units and if you have any experience with them. I have my currant saw on a portable SUV stand and was reviewing that I would not need a vacuum for these hoods. Any recommendations or experiences would be appreciated.

Fast Cap PRO
Fast Cap original
Rousseau 5000
Rousseau 5000L

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...vhcIjQE&adurl=

https://www.fastcap.com/product/chopshop-saw-hood

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...&ictx=3&uact=3

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...vhcInQE&adurl=

Print this item

Christmas Present for 8 year old Boy
Posted by: 5thumbs - 11-01-2019, 05:53 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (19)

One of my grandchildren is 8 years old and I'm stumped with what to make for him for Christmas. I'd already made a bank, a rocking horse, a toy box, and a bunch of small toys when he was younger but I'm coming up dry for this year. I was hoping the brilliant minds on here might have some suggestions. I thought about a clothes tree but I can't see an 8-year old getting too excited about a place to hang clothes!

Thanks in advance

Print this item

Help with bandsaw fence
Posted by: joemac - 10-31-2019, 11:20 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (4)

I have a Jet 18" bandsaw JWBS 18QT-3 that I bought new and has not seen a lot of use.  When I went to use it, I moved the fence to the correct location and lowered the handle to lock the fence but it did not lock.  I have never given the fence much thought as it always worked the way a fence should.  It did not appear to have any damage, but would not lock.  It seemed to have some front to back slop.  I tried to adjust it tighter with the rear hook adjustment and then the hex screws but no luck.  I then took the rear rail off and shimmed it outward with washers. This reduced the slop but still not enough to lock the fence.  I finally put a wood shim under the locking cam and it worked, but this is unsafe.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?  I am baffled
Confused

Print this item

Makita B05030 ROS
Posted by: daddo - 10-31-2019, 06:40 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (1)

This thing is just over a year old I guess and already the pad is worn where it won't hold the sanding discs. Even when it was new, I noticed the discs would become off center. I use it only for wood and I'm in the middle of a project and this thing is useless.

The cheap Ryobi I bought and paid almost half as much for around the same time to use on sharp, and dirty metal work that gets abused and used more often, is still going strong and holds pads the makita won't.

The Porter Cable ROS I had for 12+ years or so only needed one pad replacement.

I've always been a Makita fan, but since they obviously have no quality control anymore, this sander is going in the trash.  I see no reason to continue buying pads that will fail- unless the new pads have been improved, but i doubt it.

Upset

Print this item

STANLEY 45 PLANE EARLY TYPE----SOLD----
Posted by: avatar - 10-31-2019, 04:18 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

This is an early type Stanley 45.  The tote and front knob are in great shape for the age  (100 + years old).  The plane is mechanically sound and works as it should.  I don't have the cutters but they seem to be available on ebay.  I'm asking $25.00 + shipping from Brighton, MI  48114.  Email if there are any questions

Print this item

Out of round mortise's
Posted by: JB in Upstate NY - 10-31-2019, 12:57 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (11)

Good afternoon,

I don't post much just mostly browse. I have an issue with an old piano stool that has out of round mortises that the legs are glued into and am looking for a way to fill in the out of round portion to hold the legs solidly. I was able to get the legs removed and the tenons are not an issue (not out of round) they are a little small and I can correct them by gluing plane shavings to them. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can correct the problem I don't have the capability to completely fill them and re-bore to the correct size.

Print this item

Moxon Hardware
Posted by: tablesawtom - 10-31-2019, 07:53 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

I have a set of moxon hardware for sale.  The screw is 3/4-6 acme and is 8 inches long.The set includes (2) screws, (4) thick flat washers, (4) acme nuts and (2) 5 inch diameter cast iron hand wheels. I am asking $115 shipped Conus.

[attachment=21478]

[attachment=21479]

Thank you for looking.

Tom

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.