Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,393
» Latest member: truwelborn
» Forum threads: 64,765
» Forum posts: 1,002,462

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 482 online users.
» 4 Member(s) | 475 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, Internet Archive, jstrong, fredhargis

Latest Threads
Interesting counterpoint ...
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Barry Johnson
7 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 89
Bridgewood tablesaw, info...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: Marc
9 hours ago
» Replies: 8
» Views: 225
PM66, MM-16
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: Rick LoDico
11 hours ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 67
#7 for sale
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: tablesawtom
Yesterday, 04:37 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 391
Casting plane at home
Last Post: Bencuri
Yesterday, 01:43 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 74
Lane Acclaim Table Build
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: MarkSingleton
Yesterday, 09:52 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 340
Stanley #8 Blades & Tote ...
Last Post: Admiral
Yesterday, 09:02 AM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 154
All you might want to kno...
Last Post: Timberwolf
03-27-2024, 10:37 PM
» Replies: 52
» Views: 1,642
$$$ to clear land?
Forum: Home Improvement
Last Post: Stwood_
03-27-2024, 08:36 PM
» Replies: 23
» Views: 4,721
Trestle table and benches...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Stwood_
03-27-2024, 08:17 PM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 874

Vintage Delta Scroll saw -- see second post
Posted by: Wild Turkey - 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (17)

Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes

Print this item

Burned out motor Delta 14-651 Mortiser
Posted by: bpatters69 - 04-15-2019, 01:16 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (8)

Hello All,

I was cleaning up my Delta 14-651 Mortiser over the weekend as I have not used it in a while. I figured I would turn it on and let it run for a while and when I turned it on, it was making an odd noise. I cannot really describe it. After a few minutes, the noise went away so I did no think any more about it. After about 5 or 10 minutes of running, I noticed a slight odor and then I heard the motor start to slow down. The motor did not stop completely but I noticed when I tried to apply resistance to the chuck that the chuck was slipping and the engine was not apply much torque.

I am fairly sure the engine is friend. I looked online to see what a 1/2 HP motor would cost and the pricing is ridiculous. I saw pricing from $300 and up. A new mortise is only like $400. Has anyone replaced a motor in the 14-651 with a non-Delta brand of motor that is reasonably priced? Anyone have ideas for options on what to do? I have already considered binning it...

I like Delta but I have to say, I have not used the mortise a whole lot but I have had it for a few years now. I would be surprised if I used it for more than 3 or 4 hours. I doubt I will buy another Mortiser as I hardly used this one.

Thanks, Bill

Print this item

Property Brothers jealousy
Posted by: Cooler - 04-15-2019, 09:22 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (20)

I watched an episode of Property Brothers, and one of the brothers was doing a demo in the bathroom.  He used a pry bar and hammer and the 12" x 12" ceramic tiles popped off with a single blow.  You could see four blobs of thinset in the corners, but nothing elsewhere.  

By contrast, I am doing a demo in my 1950's hall bathroom.  The entire house is plaster over metal lath.  The wall tiles are metal lath and (?) concrete (?).  My tiles do not pop off.  The have a death-grip on the wall.  I gave up on the hammer and prybar technique after just one hour and about 20 tiles (5" x 5"). 

Instead I got a Harbor Freight hammer drill with a wide chisel.  A lot of noise, a lot of dust but the tiles come off.  Then I need to use the chisel to chisel away the metal lath between the studs and roll that up and toss it.  After that I have to attack the thin strip of lath that remains on each of the studs.  

Oh, and the lath is loaded with concrete so it does not cooperate very much.  

I have not started on the floor yet, but I did so on the half bath.  The porcelain mosaic tile is so hard that sparks flew when chipping away.   That was another challenge.  

At times like this, I kinda wished that the builder had cut some corners so my demo would go easier.

Oh, and this is going to take several weeks because I did not order a dumpster and I can only put about 75 or 80 pounds of debris in my trash can each week.  This week the cast iron sink took up most of that 75 pounds.

Print this item

Living the Dream
Posted by: Downwindtracker2 - 04-14-2019, 10:17 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (6)

Derek mentioned the dream of a cabin in the bush. Today at the fleamarket I picked up an adze and a double bitted axe heads.  Now if I could just lose 45 years, chuckle.

Print this item

Miller Falls #14
Posted by: tablesawtom - 04-14-2019, 04:15 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - No Replies

As always all have been precision ground and are no more than .0015 of an inch out of being perfectly flat. The sides have been ground with the same care and precision and are also ground square to the bottom. The would make a good choice of a plane for shooting board work. 

I touched up the plane irons on all of the planes.  It helps with sharpening, It doesn't require any lapping but  a lot of people will still do it. The top on some of the earlier irons needed a little help after about 100 years or so. I also flatten the backs at the cutting edge . It helps the blade to make full contact with the frog and I feel it helps reduce chatter.

Asking $85 plus shipping which is $15 shipped  priority mail to anywhere in the country. That is a 2-3 day delivery with a tracking no.

I like to show the planes completely disassembled so you know everything works properly and they come with a money back guarantee.

The answer to the next question: Am I grinding again and the answer is yes, But I am walking softly so only 3s and 4s and the turn around will be a couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking.

Tom

Print this item

Miller Falls #14
Posted by: tablesawtom - 04-14-2019, 04:05 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (3)

As always all have been precision ground and are no more than .0015 of an inch out of being perfectly flat. The sides have been ground with the same care and precision and are also ground square to the bottom. The would make a good choice of a plane for shooting board work. 

I touched up the plane irons on all of the planes.  It helps with sharpening, It doesn't require any lapping but  a lot of people will still do it. The top on some of the earlier irons needed a little help after about 100 years or so. I also flatten the backs at the cutting edge . It helps the blade to make full contact with the frog and I feel it helps reduce chatter.

Asking $85 plus shipping which is $15 shipped  priority mail to anywhere in the country. That is a 2-3 day delivery with a tracking no.

I like to show the planes completely disassembled so you know everything works properly and they come with a money back guarantee

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

WTB incra miter express or 5000
Posted by: captjack - 04-14-2019, 04:02 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

Anyone have an incra miter express or 5000 just taking up space gathering dust in your shop?  I have an old Craftsman table saw (1949) and the miter gauge slots in the table are not only different on each side, but different distances from the blade.  they are 2 and 11/16 on the left side and 4 and 3/16 on the right.  If yours has more stock on the sled than that, I think it may work to have enough left for a new zero clearance cut.  In other words, I need everything but the miter gauge. which I have.

thanks, Captjack

Print this item

If the perfect chisel or plane iron was made
Posted by: Arlin Eastman - 04-14-2019, 02:13 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (25)

What metals and how would you make them???

1.  Keeps an edge?
2.  Will sharpen?
3.  Metals sandwiched between?
4.  Very hard?
5.  ?????

Just what would be the perfect combo???

Print this item

Thumbs Up Another post about Dust collection gave me an idea and
Posted by: Arlin Eastman - 04-14-2019, 02:06 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (7)

and a question.

1.  I know the propellers are the main source for creating the suction.  Has anyone found the correct size and pitch to see just is the perfect setup??

2.  This one is the one of the biggest how to route the dust outside and somehow put a valve or vain or something to route the warm/cool air are back in????

Any ideas so maybe we can all use it???

Print this item

Alert if GFCI trips?
Posted by: Cecil - 04-14-2019, 12:41 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (12)

I have not GFCI in my basement.  Further, my basement is wet.  There is a sump pump.  I put a dehumidifier down there this week. I set it on a couple of cement blocks.

I would like to put a GFCI on all the basement circuits (I think there are three). What is the best way to set up an alert system, so that if the GFCI trips, I know about it, and can react?

Thanks.

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.