Woodnet Forums
CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=3058880)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Funky Space Cowboy - 10-10-2007

You could start the cut with the back saw and then switch to a panel saw after an inch or so to finish the cut. I keep my Sorby kangaroo saw with almost no set in the teeth for just such occasions. I keep the blade waxed to prevent it from binding up on me.

I'm still on the lookout for a deeper backsaw or a halfback to take over that role though, but this works really well in the meantime.

Cheers,

Josh

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 10-10-2007

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Using the bandsaw hadn't even occurred to me. I'm a little worried about accuracy with it, though. It is not (yet) tuned to the point where I really would want to use it for joinery. I may be just as well off using a panel saw.

Boy, this is tempting, but I've already blown my tool budget for this month!

The 14 incher would be juuuuussst riiiiiiight.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - mpphoto - 10-10-2007

Well they say size doesn't matter but I just gt a pair of 14 inchers myself for exactly the same purpose; to cut the joinery for my bench legs. Sadly I haven't had time to do it yet but hopefully soon.

I posted these in another thread, from member Ed in Oakville.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 10-10-2007

Those are beautiful! And a pair no less... I think you deserve a big YOU SUCK!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 10-16-2007

All the mortises are finally finished (hey, I was out of town). Now to start in on the tenons. Unfortunately, unlike some people... I don't have the luxury of custom tenon saws. So, it looks like I'm going to be using a backsaw and panel saw combination, and probably a decent amount of chisel work cleaning up.

I drilled out most of the mortises, then chiseled out the waste with some Stanley Fat Max chisels I just got. Don't worry, I'm not trying to use them as if they were mortise chisels. I'm actually fairly impressed with them. They were easy to sharpen, and stayed sharp longer than I expected. Of course, this is poplar so it is pretty soft. I haven't tried them out in purpleheart yet.

No chisels were harmed in the making of these mortises.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - msweig - 10-16-2007

Quote:

Don't worry, I'm not trying to use them as if they were mortise chisels.

Actually, you can probably use those if you wanted to chop out the whole mortise. I used a modern 1" Stanley (Not Fatmax) on my bench, and it worked fine. I also just chopped them.

As long as you increased the bevel angle to take a pounding that is. If not...um...yea...not my shining moment...

A mortise chisel gives you the advantage of having the wide side to help orient the chisel and keep it that way. You can use a standard bench chisel, it just takes a bit more control.

Looking good, btw

mark

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Bob Zajicek - 10-16-2007

Crooked Tail said:

No chisels were harmed in the making of these mortises.

ROTFL!

Ahem, well I didn't see your others, but those look first class. I think the tenons should turn out fine, just take your time. Good luck and I'm glad the adventure is continuing.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Jonathan S - 10-16-2007

CT,

Its looking good. Are you using wedged through tenons? If so, did you chop the mortise first or cut the relief out of the bottom of the
sled foot first? I see they overlap.

Thanks
Jonathan

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 10-21-2007

Hi Jonathan,

Yep, wedged through-tenons. I cut the relief on the sled feet before I cut the mortises. Now I'm kind of wondering how I'm going to make the ends of the through tenons flush with the underside of the sled feet. Probably end up using a spokeshave and rasps. Its a good thing it won't show.

So I am working on the tenons, and the little bean counter in my head says that I can't have a big tenon saw right now, no matter how many fancy pictures people post. I tried a panel rip saw, but god that was a lot of work to make slow progress, and it was harder to control than I expected (way too wide of kerf).

I considered trying my framesaw, but figured that would be too cumbersome and difficult to control. I needed something smaller and lighter. So I came up with this (in that darned purple wood, of course):

I used the instructions and plans on TFWW. Many thanks to Joel for making these great plans available for free! It turned out pretty good, except I messed up on the handle and made it way too small. It's supposed to be 3 7/8" not 2 7/8".

This isn't the kind of work that bow saws are designed for, but it is working out ok. A bigger handle and a nicer bootlace for a tightener and I'll be set. Also, I need to finish scraping and figure out what I'm going to finish it with.

I had a helluvatime trying to drill holes in the bandsaw blade. I don't remember having any problem when I made my frame saw, and this is a piece of the same blade. What kind of bits do you guys use to drill holes in bandsaw blades, and is there any special technique? I can't remember how I did it last time.

Anyway, going to play with the lathe a bit more for a new handle (hand cramping on the small one). Won't get much work done on the bench today... Dad's going to give me a golf lesson. But that's OK. Dad time is more valuable than shop time.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 10-21-2007

Here we go, much better:

Off I go... FORE!