Woodnet Forums
CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=3058880)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - mstens - 11-07-2007

Most excellent indeed! It's looking great! FWIW I agree, it'll fade in under a year with the UV conditions here in the southwest

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Jonathan S - 11-08-2007

Outstanding!! That is a beautiful bench. The purplehart dovetails are really sharp. Base looks great, don't worry about the green color. I would imagine its a bit more sturdy with the new design.

I only hope mine turn out as well as yours!

Jonathan

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Skip J. - 11-08-2007

Crooked Tail said:

At any rate, I got it pretty flat, using my new LV aluminum straight edge. I wish I would have bought one of those ealier!

Hello CT;

I thought so, you're way too far along to be using Borg tools....

As far as I know; you're the only one who can make PH look good, like it should be that way...

You coulda said no one here would appreciate aesthetics in a workbench from all our posts; good thing you weren't influenced by that!!!!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Guest - 11-08-2007

CT,

That's a great looking bench! You did an excellent job with it. Don't worry about the color. As Bob and others have said, it will turn a nice tan before you know it. Now you can get to work on the fun stuff.

Hank

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Rocketir - 11-08-2007

Wow what a big difference from the old bench in the back. I'm sure this bench will spoil you.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 11-16-2007

Thanks for the info about the poplar turning brown. I didn't know that. Of course, it's heading into winter now, but hopefully over next summer it will get plenty of light. My mom came by, and I showed her the bench. "It has green legs" she said.

Anyway, I'm starting the work on the cabinets. I'm gluing up the maple part of the carcase. Next I'll add the purpleheart "trim." Then it will be time for lots and lots of dovetails. I have a treat arriving today for this.

I've been using the new bench for jointing the boards. So much more solid for planing! It is also 3.5" taller than my old bench, so it is 35.5". That feels much more comfortable. I don't have to lean over so far (I'm only 5'5"). I've been having back pain for the last couple months, and I think a higher bench will help (I'm not old enough for back pain, dammit!).

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - mpphoto - 11-16-2007

CT, I don't know what finish you intend to put on the bench legs, if any. But I had a thought... If the greenish tone of the poplar bothers you maybe you can add a few drops of Mixol to the finish? I'm thinking a red tint to neutralize the green. I've never tried this so I'm not sure how well it would work. It might create a huge mess. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can comment?

Looking good

Michael

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 11-20-2007

OK, Step 1 of the cabinets is complete. This step basically is just gluing up the maple parts of the carcase, and then getting the pieces reasonably flat. These are only 12" wide. Step 2 will get them to the required 17 3/4" width.

Step 2 will consist of: ripping the purpleheart pieces, jointing the edges, gluing them up to the maple parts, and getting the whole piece flat and square. I should end up with top and bottom: 40" x 17 3/4", and two sides: 16" x 17 3/4". The edges will all be PH, so that is what you will see from the front and back of the cabinets.

I'm getting a little slowed down because some friends are getting married, and I thought I'd make them a peppermill instead of buying the one from Macy's on their registry. It's turning into one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" things. Thank goodness a four day weekend is approaching. I'll need it!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Cian - 11-21-2007

Crooked Tail said:

That is beyond NICE! WOW!

You got skilz!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - FordPrefect - 11-21-2007

Mad skilz!