Woodnet Forums
CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure (/showthread.php?tid=3058880)

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Bob Zajicek - 07-11-2007

Crooked Tail said:

The vises will add 35-40# probably, and the base will probably only add another 40. So that would bring it up to maybe 180. Cabinets would probably be, I don't know... another 30?

It might just barely top 200. I was hoping it would be heavier. Or do you suppose 200 is good enough?

I think your base and cabinet will easily add 70 lbs. If you have drawers in the cabinet, probably another 30 lbs on top of that. The tools can easily add another 50 to 75+ lbs. IOW, I think you're going to top out at over 300 lbs pretty easily.

On thing you should consider are interlocking anti fatigue mats At a little over a dollar a square foot, these are a bargain. Set your bench on these and it isn't going anywhere. You'll save your feet and legs in the process as well as any tools or project parts that would otherwise hit the concrete.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 07-22-2007

I'm nearly finished with the trestles, and about to start on the stretchers. These are green doug fir, and they've been sitting in my garage acclimating for the last 2 or so months. I'm hoping they will be stout enough. I'm starting to think that I should have made the base out of maple also. At this point, I guess I'll just have to see.

The curved feet and the first undercut on the bottom I did with a rasp and a spokeshave. (Read: PITA! Singing the "wish I had a bowsaw blues.") By the time I got to cutting the second undercut, my brain kicked into gear and I got out the scrub plane. Went to town and then cleaned up with a spokeshave. It was much, much easier and faster.

Anyway, being as they are a green softwood, what, if anything, should I put on them for a finish?

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Bob Zajicek - 07-22-2007

Crooked Tail said:

I'm nearly finished with the trestles, and about to start on the stretchers.

I'll assume you're going to cut the mortises for those stretchers before you assemle the trestle ends. If you're planning on draw bolts to hold the stretchers, now would be a good time to bore the holes.

Crooked Tail said:

Anyway, being as they are a green softwood, what, if anything, should I put on them for a finish?

Shellac, or a wipe on / gel poly. I think I'd wait a bit longer until things dry out a little more tho. When you complete the rest of the base, apply your finish then.

It's looking really good so far, by the way. I think everyone is enjoying the progress reports too. Keep up the good work!

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 07-26-2007

OK! The base is basically done. I haven't put any finish on it yet. The doug fir 2x6s I got corkscrewed pretty badly over the last couple months. So I decided just to use poplar for the stretchers instead. I'm really wishing I would have just done the whole thing out of maple. I even managed to some how set it up so I'd have big knots right where the stretcher mortises go.

I added another batten in the middle and glued and screwed the mounting block for the tailvise. I still have to clean up all that glue squeeze-out. The front vise hardware isn't actually installed yet. It's just sitting there for a sanity check on laying out the holes. The measurements in the directions are in metric, but with conversions, so it's like "drill a hole that is 1,16" in diameter, 2,29" from the top of the bench..."

Anyway, here it is. Not fancy. It will look funny with nice cabinets. Now all I need is someone to help me turn it upright. Where's the BF when you really need him?

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - msweig - 07-26-2007

Sweet!

That has to be torture to not be able to flip it over and see what it is like

mark

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - Crooked Tail - 07-27-2007

msweig said:

That has to be torture to not be able to flip it over and see what it is like

Yes! Yes it is...
But I'll get it setup this weekend, just in time to go on vacation next week. It will be nice knowing that when I come back the "basic" bench is done, and then I can shift gears into the final phase: the vises.

Since there's nothing else I can do on it for a while, here's a gratuitous dovetail pic. I'm happy with these dovetails; I think they are the best I've done yet.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - T.J. - 07-27-2007

Crooked Tail said:

Yes! Yes it is...
But I'll get it setup this weekend, just in time to go on vacation next week. It will be nice knowing that when I come back the "basic" bench is done, and then I can shift gears into the final phase: the vises.

Since there's nothing else I can do on it for a while, here's a gratuitous dovetail pic. I'm happy with these dovetails; I think they are the best I've done yet.

CT, those dovetails look fantastic. You should be very proud.

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - biocmp - 07-27-2007

Great job! I've enjoyed watching this process

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - mpphoto - 07-27-2007

The dovetails are excellent and I agree with the others; this thread has been extremely enjoyable. I think you're doing a great job and appreciate the play-by-play. I've been milling all the parts for my bench and will start assembling soon. Hopefully it will go as well as your experience (even with the minor setbacks).

Now let's all stand on our heads and admire CT's bench

Michael

Re: CT's Most Excellent Workbench Adventure - biocmp - 07-27-2007

I'm sorry I'm so lazy but would you mind telling me the size of your mortises in your base?