Woodnet Forums
Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project (/showthread.php?tid=5863545)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 01-19-2014

Holy COW! I just looked at the date stamp of my last reply in this thread and realized I had allowed this project to languish for almost TWO YEARS!

Over the past few months I had some time to catch up on my backlog of projects and these saw plates were just sitting there collecting dust. I had purchased a bunch of slitting saws a year ago and just never got around to trying them out. Until about 2 weeks ago!

I installed the 1/2 dia arbor in my router table and then set the speed to the slowest it could manage.

I used a piece of scrap to test it and was very pleased with how EASY it cut. There was no pulling, no hesitation, NADA! With that test completed I turned my attention towards making a set of handles from Walnut (since I have a bunch laying around). My thought was to shape the handles to the point where they were ready to get the saw slit cut. Then I'd test out the slitting saw. If I screwed up (again!) it'd only be with some walnut. Not the rosewood, jatoba or BE maple I was planning to use!

So I surfaced the wood to a tad over about 1" (I like it thick to start when making full sized handles. Plus, I have big hands and prefer bit thicker handle) and then stuck some saw handle templates to it.

After I cut out the profile I moved to the router table.

I installed a 0.042" thk slitting saw into the arbor and set the height to the halfway mark I had scored on the handle. As with the test cut, I turned the variable speed setting to it's lowest. Keeping my hands well away from the spinning blade, I made the cut in about 30 seconds. It went so well I had to check and make sure I actually cut the wood!

The end result: a PERFECTLY centered cut!

Now as you can see, the slitting saw is only about 2" maybe 2 1/2" in diameter. And the arbor takes up a good bit of that. So there is NO way I'm going to be able to make the complete cut this way. So it was necessary for me to clamp the saw in my end vise and use a 0.025" thk back saw filed to about 13ppi Rip to complete the cut. The cut made with the slitting saw guided my hand saw just like I wanted. I got a nice straight cut. I then followed up with a .042" thk back saw filed to 12ppi rip and opened the cut up a tad.

But the real proof is in the fitting.

Here's the Crosscut Saw Handle and saw plate

And here is the Rip Saw Handle and saw plate

They came out so good I may continue with the shaping process

The cross cut has a bit of a cosmetic error near the top. But I could cut a piece of walnut veneer and glue it there to hide it. The Rip handle came out just dandy.

Edit to add: Almost forgot to post a gloat here. On Saturday I was visiting a machine shop and noticed that they had a bunch of granite laying about. I asked if I could buy some of the cut offs and was told I could take (for free!!) as much as I could carry. My buddy and I each got a kitchen sink cut out sized piece of granite (25" x 15"). This will surely come in handy for flattening irons and such. But darn, they are heavy!

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Window Guy - 01-20-2014

Dom ....... Nice set up looks like you have it all figured out, and a great find on the granite .

Thanks for sharing !

Steve

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Bibliophile 13 - 01-20-2014

In case you didn't know, those marble slaps are also excellent for making pastries and pasta.

Anyhow, I REALLY want to see these saws finished!

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 01-20-2014

Bibliophile 13 said:

In case you didn't know, those marble slaps are also excellent for making pastries and pasta.

Oh, I know! I had a 22' x 28" x 3/4" thk marble slab at my old apartment and used it for years. When LOML and I were moving into our first home it got dropped and shattered. Personally I think that two of the guys helping us were goofing off and dropped it.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Tony Z - 01-20-2014

Dom,

You going to the MWTCA in York this Saturday?

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 01-20-2014

Tony Z said:

Dom,

You going to the MWTCA in York this Saturday?

Tony,
As much as I would like to, probably not. I have too much going on at home right now.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - KlausK. - 01-20-2014

That looks fantastic, Dom!

This setup will work forever. Now the cutting of the bladeslot has lost it's mysteries, to be honest, now it's a piece of cake, isn't it?

I like the rip handle. This W,M&C handle is one of the most beautiful ones that ever has been made. Can't wait to see your's.

Best
Klaus

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - KlausK. - 01-20-2014

What I forgot to mention: with your setup you can run thinner blades as well. With the little overstand the blade has around the mandrel, the setup will accept a 0.020" blade without any problems.

Klaus

Klaus,
As always, thanks for the feedback! I also prefer the WM&C Rip saw handle. The other handle is from a Disston / warranted Superior saw that I once owned. I liked the way it felt in my hand and decided to make a saw around it.

I actually purchased an assortment of slitting saws in various thicknesses so that I could match them up to the appropriate thickness saw plate.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 01-23-2014

Well, I was so happy with the way that this technique has worked that I decided to make two more handles for the cross cut saw. Since I was so confident of the outcome I broke out the jatoba and rosewood.

I got all cocky and decided to make one of the handles a Disston No9 - Circa 1890 (bottom left)

and the second one a Disston Full sized No7 (bottom right)

And I'm pleased to say that it worked out PERFECTLY. I was even able to drill the holes for the hardware. I started shaping the No9 handle but due to the number of curves and intricacies of the shape, it's taking a while.

More to come soon.