Woodnet Forums
Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project (/showthread.php?tid=5863545)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - JustinTyson - 04-02-2012

I agree with Eric - the small pattern looks like a panel saw handle. I have a 20" panel saw with a handle that is so small I can barely fit my hand in it, even though I use a 3-finger grip.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - Blacky's Boy - 04-02-2012

Yes, after some research I found out that I had used the D7 panel saw handle template. It's way too small for my hands. Here's the one I'm going to use

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - MarvW - 04-02-2012

Dom,

Don't mean to hijack your thread, just some examples of the No.7 28" disston handle.

According to what we read on the Disstonian site, the Disston No.7 handle without the lamb's tongue was only used on their 28" rip saws. The handle does look and feel in proportion to the large blade. The grip hole extents a little higher at the top to allow for a thumb for two handed sawing, either left handed or right.

I have a couple of these saws, and are the most comfortable rip saws I've ever used for ripping.

Here's one example of one I refurbished ..

Here's another one..Notice how the upper part of the grip hole curves forward just a little.

One more...

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - AHill - 04-02-2012

Great thread! Just to throw another thought into the "hang" thing, the aggressiveness of the saw also is affected by the rake. An otherwise aggressive hang can be diminished by a less aggressive rake.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - Blacky's Boy - 04-02-2012

Wow, that handle closely resembles another one of my favorites. And that one is from a George Bishop & Sons cross cut saw

Dom,

The Geo. Bishop handle does resemble the No.7, but I think it is Bishop's copy of the Disston D8 with 5 screws. Does it have a cover top? The No.7 doesn't. What makes those handles more comfortable is there is an absents of nooks and crannies along the top.

Nice looking handle, but the end grain glue joint on the upper horn is not the best kind of joint in that situation.

What's a "cover top"?

MarvW said:

.....but the end grain glue joint on the upper horn is not the best kind of joint in that situation.

I know. I know.

This handle is for the cross cut version of these saws. Do you think there would be an occasion to have your hands on the top when cross cutting? I was set to use that Disston Warranted Superior one in lieu of the D-7.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - Tony Z - 04-02-2012

Probably one of the most enjoyable threads I seen on Woodnet. Dom, please be sure to continue the excellent documentation and I hope this thread remains on Woodnet for a long time. Marv, your comments are also very, very helpful the the thread.

Dom,

You will find the cover-top handle design on the very first D8 saws Disston made. They later included the cover-top design on some of their other models like the D23 and most of their saws post 1928, even their D-12,s. When you look at the top front of the handle you don't see the edge of the blade through the handle.

Sorry, thought you were using that No.7 handle for a rip saw. My bad.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - RonB1957 - 04-02-2012

You guys just aren't right. Flashing all those pretty saws in front of us poe folks. I wish I may. I wish I might. Have that saw I saw tonight.