Woodnet Forums
Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project (/showthread.php?tid=5863545)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - Blacky's Boy - 04-04-2012

You were saying......?

Pee Owwwww!!! Fastest CAD edits in the WEST!!!

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - jossimbyr - 04-04-2012

Haha. Not only edited the drawings, but the post, too, as well as the uploads. Skill, man.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 04-04-2012

As I mentioned previously, I had flattened the stock for the handles over the last couple nights. The rosewood was easy and was a dream to work with

The jatoba was not too bad either. It felt a lot like bubinga. But it's definitely harder than rosewood! Like the rosewood, this stuff came from Groff & Groff in Lancaster PA.

After flattening the stock I then cut out the templates and glued them to the work pieces. I also too the time to locate the center points of all the holes so that it would be easier to drill.

So tonight I spent some quality time with my drill press and some forstner bits followed by a session at the bandsaw. I then cut the handle holes using my turning saw.

This marked the first time I used my Gyro Vise for a "real" project. I'm actually pretty happy with it. But I can see where one of those Power Arm pivoting bases would improve the assembly.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - RonB1957 - 04-04-2012

Keep those step by step pics coming. I am paying close attention.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - BaileyNo5 - 04-04-2012

.....snip......
Blacky's Boy said:

But I can see where one of those Power Arm pivoting bases would improve the assembly.

You should've bought this one:

Wilton Power Arm Jr. swivel mount base for the Wilton 2” vise, E-bay pricing is in the mid $130’s, this one’s crisp and clean…if you’ve got the small Wilton vise for this; the price skyrockets into the low to mid $200’s…go figure…$70 PICTURE..last one on ebay went for $102.50

Can you tell where that's from?

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Corneel - 04-04-2012

Don,

Of course I wouldn't want to highjack your spare time, but did you think about setting up a webpage for all these handle scans? That would be a cool resource.

The work looks good so far. I hope you like the Jatoba to work with. It's not my favorite kind of wood, rather splintery.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The saw plates - Window Guy - 04-05-2012

Dom ....... I love your drawings, Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 04-05-2012

Corneel said:

Of course I wouldn't want to highjack your spare time, but did you think about setting up a webpage for all these handle scans? That would be a cool resource.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know! I know!

I keep meaning to get a web site started but things keep getting in the way. Little stuff like working everyday and home projects.....

I've had an offer from a couple individuals here to host these scans on their web sites. I'm looking into updating all my files and then saving them to PDFs. That way you can print them out to scale but just using Adobe Acrobat reader and turning off "Print Scaling".

I actually have the bare bones for a web site all written out and ready to go. But I just haven't had the urge to shell out the money for a domain name and web hosting service. I want one that can be paid via Paypal so that the business itself can pay for the web site and not need me to use a credit card (I'm trying to eliminate all credit card debt and I'm about 90% done with that task )

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Brian K - 04-05-2012

Dom, why not just put the scans into the "saw handle" album on your photobucket account. Then that gives a simple place for all of them to be located.

Re: Big Ripsaw and Crosscut saw project: The handles - Blacky's Boy - 04-05-2012

Mostly because I don't want "strangers" browsing though my photobucket account.

Wait a minute..........

PDFs are easier to print to the correct size. And the software to read and print them is free.