Woodnet Forums
Post pics of your homemade tools - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Post pics of your homemade tools (/showthread.php?tid=6617072)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Boatman53 - 02-05-2014

Dug up a couple of photos of some other tools I made.
Dom was kind enough to send me some drawings of this marking gauge. His has a pin for marking, but I wanted a cutter. Wasn't sure what shape I really wanted so I made a selection. I made this for a swap on another forum, still have to finish mine.

This next is a marking gauge for planking (mostly) on boats. I did the top one first with the added pencil on the right, then decided that a notch on the back of the beam would work just as well. It is based on a little tip in an old 1940's article in Yachting Magazine.

Just realized I posted the version 2 already. Sorry but at least you you get to see my first one.
Jim

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Peter Tremblay - 02-05-2014

Thanks, Dom!

I'll have to try that. Now I've got to get some guitar strings

Do banjo strings work?

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Dan Moening - 02-06-2014

Quote:

Do banjo strings work?

I don't see why not.

If fact, I've "burnt" the edge of small bowls with a moistened paper towel.

Wire is small in diameter and heats up nicely when run against a turning; that's why it is preferred.

You could run a pointed stick in a groove to do the same thing but it would take longer. And might burst into flame.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Peter Tremblay - 02-06-2014

I ask because of a certain title that I have

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Blacky's Boy - 02-06-2014

Dan Moening said:

[blockquote]Quote:

Do banjo strings work?

I don't see why not.

If fact, I've "burnt" the edge of small bowls with a moistened paper towel.

Wire is small in diameter and heats up nicely when run against a turning; that's why it is preferred.

You could run a pointed stick in a groove to do the same thing but it would take longer. And might burst into flame.

[/blockquote]

Banjo, mandolin strings, etc will also work. Basically any thin steel wire will work. But instrument strings are tough and resilient enough to take some abuse. Plus the bronze wound strings are nice for wider burned lines because of their thickness. You can buy an entire set of guitar strings from Amazon for about $6 and get a nice assortment of thicknesses.

Martin MSP4100 SP Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings, Light

Another item I use is a piece of phenolic laminate. I use that as well as pieces of wooden veneer to burn rings in the base of turned wooden bowls. Sort of impossible to use a guitar string there.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - GNP - 02-07-2014

" />

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Boatman53 - 02-21-2014

Finished this little square a couple of days ago. Brass and Jarra with a mother of pearl inlay. Blade is about 4 1/2" long.

Jim

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - cputnam - 02-21-2014

Now that's downright pretty, right there.

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Boatman53 - 02-21-2014

Thanks Curt.
Jim

Re: Post pics of your homemade tools - Timberwolf - 02-21-2014

I haven't posted this one in awhile....African Ivory Razee sharpening a pencil...I made it about 25 years ago out of scrap ivory.