Woodnet Forums
The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn (/showthread.php?tid=6805621)

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - BloomingtonMike - 11-06-2014

Going to install Maxline RapidAir PEX-Al-PEX air line drops in this shed while these walls are opened up. Should be pretty cool.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - skizzo - 11-10-2014

BloomingtonMike said:

[blockquote]Mr_Mike said:

Explain bookcasing please.

Bookcase girts or commercial girts as they are also called, are 2X6s installed flat between posts. My building was built with traditional girts on the outside of the posts. I am adding the bookcased girts to aide in installing batts of insulation 24" on center and to give a surface to securely attach my plywood 1/3 pieces too for walls.

[/blockquote]
So you're saying you used both traditional girts for the construction, then are going back in and adding the bookcasing? Dayum. Any specific reason you didn't you just do bookcased construction in the first place?

What are some of the structural dimensions: 4x4 poles? 4x6? With the girts outside the poles, will the bookcase girts extend all the way from the interior edge of the pole to the wall? Or will they butt up against the exterior girt? Sounds like a massively solid frame, regardless.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - BloomingtonMike - 11-10-2014

the posts are 6X6 posts - three laminated 2X6s. In reality they are a little more than 4.5X5.5.

The wall girts are 2X6s.

I had asked my builder about bookcasing from the beginning but the charge to do it was a lot more than the cost of the lumber. They really like to build it the standard way so they were pricing me out of that decision. At that time I thought I was going to do poly iso insulation foam board so their way was fine.

I also had the completely wrap the building in double bubble wrap. It was over the wall girts but under the steel obviously.

Then I got this crazy deal on the 48"X32"X3/4" marine plywood. I bought 1600 sheets of it. It will become walls (slatwall) and my ceiling.

Now I needed a way to attach the plywood to the building. Having the bookcasing there seems like a great way plus it gives me a perfect place for the R19 kraft faced 23X93 batts sold by menards. They fill up all the void of the 2X6s.

So with a bunch of work I am just doing it myself. In fact I just came in - I have done 100 2X6s worth and have half the building done and it is the more complex half with the porch, windows, and doors.

Its hard to see in this picture but here is some of the 2X6s installed. Also a picture of my stations lol.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Big Dave - 11-10-2014

BloomingtonMike said:

This is a labor of love for me anyway. Building my dream shop the way I want = AWESOME.

This is exactly how I felt when I built my shop, Mike!

I've been following this thread and remembering all the "little" things I did at the time, and it's bringing back some great memories...

It's looking great!!

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Big Dave - 11-10-2014

BloomingtonMike said:

Now I needed a way to attach the plywood to the building. Having the bookcasing there seems like a great way plus it gives me a perfect place for the R19 kraft faced 23X93 batts sold by menards. They fill up all the void of the 2X6s.

Just one more thought here, Mike. I found all the insulation for my shop on Craigslist at anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 off the retail prices. It was still in the original packaging, so there wasn't any concerns with sub-standard product.

Just mentioning it as Craigslist and Ebay saved me probably $2000-$3000...

Dave

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - BloomingtonMike - 11-10-2014

I sure have been watching. I have saved thousands on CL and Ebay for this build. $5K boiler for $1k, all my 1.5" XPS extruded polystyrene under floor foam for $1K total, 10mil poly sheeting was 1/2 off, 45 low bay lights fr $250,

For some reason the size kraft faced I bought from Menards was about $10 cheaper than the sizes even .25" to 1" longer or wider and even the smaller stuff was more expensive. Plus it was on a 11% rebate week so that is cool too. I bought all the R19 wall insulation I need for $1k and the 2X6s were $1K. That is for a 40X64X16. Even 2" (R12) reclaim polyiso would have been a lot more than that from craigslist and the spray guys would have wanted $9K. Plus I want to get it in now and get these walls up and electrical ran. I am still looking for a ceiling insulation solution too.

If you have any other leads or ideas please post them up.

For anyone wanting to build a pole barn with radiant floor heat next year start looking for XPS foam NOW on CL. It takes awhile to find but like was said before you will save thousands.

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Big Dave - 11-11-2014

I used 12" of blow-in insulation in the attic on mine - purchased off Craigslist. I'm quite pleased with the results as it tends to hold temps - both warm and cool - pretty well.

One thing I did add, thanks to a suggestion from Just_Dave, was an attic fan. I'm amazed at how much cooler the shop stays in the summer when the fan kicks on. Just a thought...

Dave

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - Big Dave - 11-11-2014

One more thought - It seems everywhere I've lived, there has always been a printed "Classifieds" paper that comes out once a week. It's call the "Nickel Ads" here. They're free, and usually displayed in convenience stores, gas stations, etc, near the doors. I found a few good deals in there, too...

Dave

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - BloomingtonMike - 11-11-2014

You guys are AWESOME. Thank you very much for the ideas on helping me do this cheaper. Means a lot to me. This whole thing is done based on reading forum posts here and garage journal and other sites! Thank you very much Big Dave and to Just Dave and to PaulE and everyone else!!

Re: The new Mikiespace - 40X64X16 Pole Barn - meackerman - 11-11-2014

contact some insulation companies. I found one that installed the blown-in insulation in my house for about what I could buy it for and rent the machine. they sell batt insulation way cheaper than lowes or HD