Woodnet Forums
James Swan auger bit - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: James Swan auger bit (/showthread.php?tid=6853145)

James Swan auger bit - SteveF - 10-11-2014

I picked up three of these auger bits last week. They look like a short Cook's patent bit. First time I've seen these.

Re: James Swan auger bit - Boatman53 - 10-11-2014

Someone on here was looking for some Swan bits. I don't remember who it was however. They look very interesting and stout.
Jim

Re: James Swan auger bit - Phil S. - 10-11-2014

Jim-

I was looking for a 1/4" Swan bit to complete a set, but nothing special, just the standard Jennings pattern.

Phil

Re: James Swan auger bit - JClark - 10-12-2014

I've been told that Swan had the exclusive rights to Cook's patents in the early 1900s, which sounds strange now that I repeat it since Cook's patent predates Swan by quite a ways. I would have thought the patent would have expired by the time Swan took over. I don't recall coming across a Swan-branded Cook bit before. They are all over the Swan catalogs though.

Josh

Re: James Swan auger bit - SteveF - 10-12-2014

JClark said:

I've been told that Swan had the exclusive rights to Cook's patents in the early 1900s, which sounds strange now that I repeat it since Cook's patent predates Swan by quite a ways. I would have thought the patent would have expired by the time Swan took over. I don't recall coming across a Swan-branded Cook bit before. They are all over the Swan catalogs though.

Josh

Thanks Josh. It's odd that we never see them, now I've got three (all 7s).

Re: James Swan auger bit - Martin S. - 10-08-2015

Steve, have you ever been able to find any more of these?