Woodnet Forums
White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? (/showthread.php?tid=7058181)

White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? - Ricky - 07-19-2015

I'm building a split top roubo style. Been laminating 2x6 's and got almost half a top done. I notice Home depot sells 6 x 6 beams of white cedar. Seems a bit light compared to other softwoods. Do you folks think it's sturdy enough for the legs? I would save me lots of laminating.

Re: White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? - Steve N - 07-19-2015

NO, get some WO, Ash, or other hardwood with some ability to sustain an attack of it's joints. Really any cedar would be to light.

Say where you live, could be someone will know where you can buy solid posts for the framework of a decent wood for a bench. Tops can be soft, legs need to be able to take the beating.

Re: White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? - Ricky - 07-19-2015

Steve N said:

NO, get some WO, Ash, or other hardwood with some ability to sustain an attack of it's joints. Really any cedar would be to light.

Say where you live, could be someone will know where you can buy solid posts for the framework of a decent wood for a bench. Tops can be soft, legs need to be able to take the beating.

Thanks, I live in South Western New Hamphire.

Not sure how far anything is from SW NH, but there are trees up there

Woodfinder

Toward the coast appear to be some lumber sales for the boating industry, they use big stuff sometimes. Also not too sure how far Albany would be, but they have resources. I always tell people to ask at the barber, and the hardware store. Some here will also advocate having it shipped, while I am sure there are great suppliers, if I was near trees I'd look locally first, it has to be cheaper.

Good luck.

Re: White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? - Bibliophile 13 - 07-19-2015

Structurally, it would hold up fine. But yes, it would be pretty light compared to other available woods.

If you really want to use the cedar, you could increase the width and thickness of each beam, or you could add a storage shelf underneath and putting heavy stuff on it. Lots of ways to make a bench heavier.

Re: White Cedar too light for base of Roubo Bench? - Scoony - 07-19-2015

I think they would work just fine for a bench base. When you add the weight of 4 of them plus the stretchers, you will have a good bit of weight. The only reason I would not use them if is the beams contained the core, which would mean way too much splitting latter on.

Just to add reasoning, I wasn't concerned with Cedar's weight, heck you can throw on sandbags to increase weight. I was saying no because of the fact if you make a joint, or affix it with screws, bolts or other it is much more apt to wallow out the joint, and become loose and sloppy. Anyone with a cedar lawn chair, Adirondack or other can attest that after a few years the chair will start to move, given more time they can become unsafe, and that is just with someone sitting still. With a bench you are constantly pushing, and shoving it, breakdown is much faster.

I think shear strength would be the best bet to look at. Of all woods, soft, and hard Cedar's are some of the weakest. They do an admirable job hanging on a surface, shedding rainfall though