Woodnet Forums
A few pretty cool saws (I think) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A few pretty cool saws (I think) (/showthread.php?tid=7065643)

A few pretty cool saws (I think) - DaveParkis - 07-30-2015

Grabbed a few saws yesterday and I thought I'd share. All the plates are nice and straight and a couple are even sharp. First up is a nice little rip saw labeled "Carpenters Choice No. 39". The medallion is a Disston, so I'm guessing they made it fro a store here in Albany since the plate states "made for A.H.I. Co., Albany, NY"

Then there was this "The Majestic" by Sargent Tool Co.

A really nice D-8, 12 ppi, but a little smaller than most of the D-8's I've seen.

Then there was this beast. Its a Joseph Tyzack & Son (singular) and its 4ppi. as you can see though, it needs a medallion and a nut

I have someone who might have the medallion and split nut, but if you've got one or know where I can get them, please let me know.

Re: A few pretty cool saws (I think) - TobyC - 07-30-2015

Quote:

A few pretty cool saws (I think)

Really? Ya think?

Very cool stuff bubba.

Re: A few pretty cool saws (I think) - enjuneer - 07-30-2015

That Majestic etch is terrific! I've heard of them, but have never seen a Sargent-made saw.

Re: A few pretty cool saws (I think) - DaveParkis - 07-30-2015

I hope others will chime in, but I was told that Sargent didn't make saws and had these made for their brand.

Re: A few pretty cool saws (I think) - TobyC - 07-30-2015

So my post wasn't good enough, huh?

You want actual useful information!

Re: A few pretty cool saws (I think) - DaveParkis - 07-30-2015

TobyC said:

So my post wasn't good enough, huh?

You want actual useful information!

Re: A few pretty cool saws (I think) - JClark - 07-30-2015

DaveParkis said:

I hope others will chime in, but I was told that Sargent didn't make saws and had these made for their brand.

In Heckel's book there is an addendum in which he notes the various makers of tools Sargent sold. According to this Sargent handsaws were made by Atkins.

Josh