Woodnet Forums
Need sanding help - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need sanding help (/showthread.php?tid=7075559)

Need sanding help - Bill Holt - 08-15-2015

I need to flatten a "bread board" lid for a blanket chest. It is just under 22" x 42". Anyone in the Dallas area with a wide sander interested selling time and or help?

I tried using a plane but the tare out and my hand tool skills were so bad I had to give up. There is a cabinet shop I've used four or five times but even tough they charge me for the time, I always feel guilty for interrupting productivity.

Re: Need sanding help - Dennis Puskar - 08-15-2015

I would go back to the cabinet shop, if they didn't want to do the work for you they would tell you.

Re: Need sanding help - Joel H. - 08-15-2015

Dennis Puskar said:

I would go back to the cabinet shop, if they didn't want to do the work for you they would tell you.

+1 I use a local cabinet shop all the time for important panels (like tabletop, dresser tops, etc). The work is always done within 2 days, so I know they just fit it in when time allows. I've never asked for a quick turn-around.

Joel

Re: Need sanding help - Dave Diaman - 08-15-2015

Most of the lumber dealers in my area have wide belt sanders. They charge about $45 an hour around here I think. A sharp tuned plane is the way to go although it may not be the quickest or easiest option for this project. For the future go down to the hand tool forum and work on your sharpening and hand plane skills. Once you master those you will find you reach for a hand plane a lot more than you would imagine now.

Re: Need sanding help - Bill Holt - 08-15-2015

Dave, I really wanted to use the plane. I doubt many people could get it any sharper, but I just have such limited experience with the plane. Tear out was huge. In the near future I WILL learn a lot more about the hand plane.