Woodnet Forums
Remember when - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Remember when (/showthread.php?tid=7081268)

Remember when - Timberwolf - 08-23-2015

Harbor Freight sold their bronze replica of the Stanley Odd Jobs #1 which was made from cast iron...I think they were priced at about ten bucks with a 12" brass- bound wood rule..Back then I made a dovetail Template/gauge out of 3/8" Lexan with a scratch pin to serve as a marking gauge.., as an attachment for it...How long ago was that...about five years??

They're back on the market now and sold by Axminster and IIRC, Woodcraft...but check out the price!! ..Aren't you glad you bought yours back then??????

Re: Remember when - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 08-23-2015

I think it's been more than 5 years, hasn't it? Maybe 7 or 8? What's the saying? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Re: Remember when - Timberwolf - 08-23-2015

You may be right Greg..Time goes by so fast...but "everything old is new again"...

Re: Remember when - Carl Grover - 08-24-2015

I bought one of those Harbor Freight odd jobs a couple years ago. I don't use it much.

carl

Re: Remember when - Timberwolf - 08-24-2015

Quote:

I don't use it much.

I don't either...but I like bronze..so I bought it...

Re: Remember when - JimReed@Tallahassee - 08-24-2015

I recall that they sold for something ridiculous like $7.95. Sure is handy to have close to the bench when you need to check square.

I guess now they are collector's items. Like their $9.99 handplane.

Re: Remember when - Timberwolf - 08-24-2015

Quote:

Like their $9.99 handplane.

Right!!!!! ..That's another one of Harbor Freight "sleepers"!!! Tuned up, those little "El Cheapo" planes worked pretty darn well!!

I guess it pays to keep an eye on HF offerings!!!!

Re: Remember when - George Moore - 08-25-2015

It sure does pay to keep an eye out Jack. I have one of each of the items mentioned and they both work great.

Re: Remember when - Tony Z - 08-25-2015

Timberwolf said:

Harbor Freight sold their bronze replica of the Stanley Odd Jobs #1 which was made from cast iron...I think they were priced at about ten bucks with a 12" brass- bound wood rule..Back then I made a dovetail Template/gauge out of 3/8" Lexan with a scratch pin to serve as a marking gauge.., as an attachment for it...How long ago was that...about five years??

They're back on the market now and sold by Axminster and IIRC, Woodcraft...but check out the price!! ..Aren't you glad you bought yours back then??????

Want to soil your drawers Jack, look at the ones Woodpecker is selling!