Woodnet Forums
Tinting - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Tinting (/showthread.php?tid=7088135)

Tinting - dartman - 09-02-2015

I have some wood turnings that are of a very bland wood.I use a CA finish on a lot of my projects and had a thought (I know we are in trouble).Can you tint CA and if you can,what would you use.I have dye's I use when casting,maybe?

Re: Tinting - dartman - 09-04-2015

Ok,guess nobody knows.looks like I'm on my own to try it.

Re: Tinting - Doug_H - 09-04-2015

I don't finish turnings with CA and would not care to mix it with anything. But could you color the finished turning with NGR dye and then apply CA? Or switch to a shellac finish. You can tint that with Trans-Tint. My issue with colored finishes is that variation in thickness shows as variation in color intensity.

Hope this helps

Doug

Re: Tinting - dartman - 09-05-2015

I was thinking more on the lines a pen finish so not much is needed.

Re: Tinting - Doug_H - 09-05-2015

Oh, I should have thought of that. I have never turned a pen, but I wouldn't recommend shellac for a pen finish. I'll bet an acrylic (eg Polycrylic) would be durable enough for a pen. You can buy acrylic paints in a wide variety of colors in an art store and use them to tint polycrylic.

Again, I have never tried this on a pen, but I have used polycrylic on turnings, and I have tinted it with acrylic pain for furniture toning. Still, this would be an experiment.

Re: Tinting - dartman - 09-05-2015

Back to the laboratory to experiment....bwwwahahaha