Woodnet Forums
Can I Spray Polycrylic - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Can I Spray Polycrylic (/showthread.php?tid=7098306)

Can I Spray Polycrylic - msajeep - 09-16-2015

I've read mixed things on spraying polycrylic. I don't usually use this finish but I've come across a gallon of it for free and have a red oak dining table I'm finishing up with 4 big benches so I was hoping I could spray this.

Has anyone successfully sprayed this and what size tip did you use? Minwax tells me it's not designed to be sprayed but it's designed for the average DIYer to brush it on. I don't see why I can't thin it a bit and spray it, but was hoping maybe some of you have experience with this. Any help is appreciated

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - fredhargis - 09-16-2015

I have not, but most of the waterborne finishes can be sprayed with the proper thinning. I wouldn't thin it more than the manufacturer allows, you might screw up their chemistry.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - Howard Acheson - 09-16-2015

The quick and dirty answer is: sure it can be sprayed and most often is. In many cases it does not need to be thinned. As Fred says, most manufacturers have limits as to how much water can be added. Add too much and you will mess up the chemistry and you won't end up with a proper film.

Bottom line is that spraying is the best way to apply a waterborne acrylic finish. Brushing and wiping can be problematic as the finish dries too fast to flow out and brush marks will result.

As always, test it on some scrap before committing to your actual item.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - Howard Acheson - 09-16-2015

The quick and dirty answer is: sure it can be sprayed and most often is. In many cases it does not need to be thinned. As Fred says, most manufacturers have limits as to how much water can be added. The upper limit is generally 5-10%. Add too much and you will mess up the chemistry and you won't end up with a proper film. Water is not truly a "thinner" for waterborne finishes. It's a carrier of the other chemicals and is intended to keep those chemicals apart until the water evaporates allowing the finish to coalesce into a dried film.

Bottom line is that spraying is the best way to apply a waterborne acrylic finish. Brushing and wiping can be problematic as the finish dries too fast to flow out and brush marks will result.

As always, test it on some scrap before committing to your actual item.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - msajeep - 09-16-2015

Thanks Howie, do you recommend any specific gun tip size since it can't be thinned much? I have a .9mm and 1.8mm tip.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - arthropod98 - 09-16-2015

man, i really wish i knew what my tip size was on my HF sprayer, because i have sprayed this stuff without thinning, and i was really happy with the results.

my HF came with 3 tips, and this was definitely the thinnest one -- whatever that may be.

i'm checking out the online manual, and i'd say to try the 0.9 tip.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - jteneyck - 09-16-2015

Yes, it sprays fine. I've sprayed it with a 1.4 mm tip HVLP gun. Sorry, I can't remember if I had to thin it or not, but I don't think so. Polycrylic would not be my first, second, or even third choice for a dining room table, but it sprays fine. GF EnduroVar or Enduro Clear Poly would be a much better choice, IMHO.

John

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - JR1 - 09-17-2015

You are over thinking things! I have a HVLP turbine rig and 95% of the time need not thin. I use distilled water a mine .has very heavy mineral content. I just use the default tip.
Check viscoscosity to/ see if you have the right tip or need to thin.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - Howard Acheson - 09-17-2015

First question is, why do you want to thin it? The way experienced and/or professional finishers determine adjustments is by spraying on to sample boards. There are lots of variables when spraying and what works on a particular day is may not be the correct setting or adjustment as things like humidity and temperature changes.

Re: Can I Spray Polycrylic - msajeep - 09-17-2015

Howard Acheson said:

First question is, why do you want to thin it? The way experienced and/or professional finishers determine adjustments is by spraying on to sample boards. There are lots of variables when spraying and what works on a particular day is may not be the correct setting or adjustment as things like humidity and temperature changes.

Thanks for the tips. I am new to spraying my finish. The last job I had I sprayed on General Finishes EF Water Poly and it was a pleasure to work with. Sprayed perfectly, and was able to put on multiple coats in one day. I certainly don't want to thin it, just what I had read most people needed to do. I will certainly test on some scrap. I have a full brand new gallon that I got basically for free which is why I'm using the polycrylic instead of another product.

Just curious, John mentioned you would not use it even as your third choice. Why is that? I've spent quite a bit of time making this and certainly don't want a customer calling me back in a year telling me the finish is peeling or looks terrible but as I've said I have a gallon of this stuff for free and didn't see a reason not to use it. Reviews on rockler and other sites people seemed to like it. Any first hand experience with problems is appreciated