Woodnet Forums
Need help with a door - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need help with a door (/showthread.php?tid=7099632)

Need help with a door - Herb G - 09-17-2015

My back door (exterior/interior) is sagging.
I have to lift it with a tool to lock the deadbolt.
I have tried to shim the bottom hinge, but if I shim it too much, the edge of the door hits the frame & won't close.

I have already ground out the latch plate for the deadbolt to the point it will fail if I grind it any more.
I am at a loss here & I need some ideas to fix it.
Thanks for any help.

Re: Need help with a door - Woodenfish - 09-17-2015

Chisel out the mortise's for the hinges and raise them up.

Re: Need help with a door - Herb G - 09-17-2015

I don't understand how that would help.

Re: Need help with a door - K. L. McReynolds - 09-17-2015

Check the square of the door frame. Sounds like the opening is skewed---tilted like a trapezoid instead of a rectangle.

The only fix for that is to remove the frame and fix the framing to make a more square opening.

Re: Need help with a door - Scouter - 09-17-2015

There are latch plates with wider openings. Have you looked into them? If this is a seasonal then moving the existing plate could give you problems when the weather changes.

Re: Need help with a door - Snipe Hunter - 09-19-2015

It's rare that an exterior door sags. It's almost always something else. Like posted above. Measure the door from diagonal corner to corner to check for square. Then do the same with the frame.

What do you find?

Re: Need help with a door - Robert Adams - 09-19-2015

How much slop is there in the hinges themselves. I have seen hinges wear quite a bit. Most of your issue is probably from the frame being out if square.

Re: Need help with a door - KC - 09-19-2015

Is this a new problem? I think most of the responses assume it's a newly hung door...

Re: Need help with a door - theeviltwinn - 09-19-2015

Since you can make it work by lifting the door, it sounds like the hinges are loose. The first thing to try is replacing the top hinge screws with 3" long screws. These will reach the stud and should pull the top of the door back raising the latch up to fit the strike.

Also replace the screws into the edge of the door with longer screws too. The old screws may be stripping out allowing the door to sag.

Twinn

Re: Need help with a door - Gary G™ - 09-19-2015

Put a level on the hinge-side jamb.
Is it plumb?
Check the outside edge of the door.
Is it plumb?

It sounds like it's so far out that you'll have to adjust some of the hinge mortises and plane a door edge some.