Woodnet Forums
Unusual Eggbeater - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Unusual Eggbeater (/showthread.php?tid=7104929)

Unusual Eggbeater - lilrichard2 - 09-24-2015

I received a request from a fellow Woodnetter asking my assistance in obtaining an eggbeater that appeared on a local on-line auction. Since I do a lot of business with local on-line auctions, and he's hundreds of miles away, I agreed to do so. I won the auction, so LOML, our two dogs, and I left this afternoon to pick up the winnings.

I knew from the picture on the auction site that the drill was a little unusual, but it really became apparent when i viewed the drill. It's an eggbeater allright, 14 1/2" long, but it also has a breastplate.

An early one made by Millers Falls.

The chuck is in much better condition than appears in the picture.

It's a two speed also, selectable by the twist of the collar.

The handle is really intriguing on this drill - it can rotate and also be removed by loosening the collar that holds the handle on.

The handle is hollow to permit the storage of drill bits - quite a difference from other MF drills.

And the added breastplate is held on by only one screw.

Finally, there's a small mark on the side of the drive wheel - don't know if this is designed or a mistake made by a PO. I'll leave that to the recipient of this fine tool.

I think my friend is going to be one happy camper with this drill.

Richard

Re: Unusual Eggbeater - enjuneer - 09-24-2015

According to the Old Tool Heaven web site, the No 981 was only made for four years -- 1913 to 1917 -- making it a fairly scarce drill.

Re: Unusual Eggbeater - jasfrank - 09-24-2015

That is a different one. I would bet your friend will be a happy camper too.

Re: Unusual Eggbeater - AHill - 09-25-2015

Thanks for sharing. One correction, though. MF No. 2 drills, their most common, had hollow handles. I have one with a full set of bits. The cap of the handle is threaded and unscrews to reveal more bits. Same as the No. 1.

Re: Unusual Eggbeater - lilrichard2 - 09-25-2015

AHill said:

Thanks for sharing. One correction, though. MF No. 2 drills, their most common, had hollow handles. I have one with a full set of bits. The cap of the handle is threaded and unscrews to reveal more bits. Same as the No. 1.

You're correct in that the #2 has a hollow handle, but - the handle is not removed from the drill to view the cavity that holds the bits, whereas, on this one, the handle must be removed. That's the difference.

Richard