Woodnet Forums
Lathe tool and accessory storage. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Lathe tool and accessory storage. (/showthread.php?tid=7112993)

Lathe tool and accessory storage. - glzahn - 10-06-2015

I'm finally starting to collect more and more turning tools and accessories for my lathe. I do have a small cabinet for storing accessories and a shelf on the bottom of my lathe for turning tools. I'd like to make a better cabinet etc. for storing those tools and accessories.

I'd like to see what you guys have come up with.

Thanks,

Gary

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - MichaelMouse - 10-06-2015

All kinds of folks like to store the tools in PVC tubes or such, handles up. I think storing with the pattern of the tool visible at all times - handle down - is the better way. For my part, I use magnetic strips on the wall the lathe butts against. No worries about any spot being suitable for every tool, either.

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - Angus - 10-06-2015

mobile so I can roll it to the lathe or out of the way

This one is a limited of shot of whats behind the lathe

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - czarcastic - 10-06-2015

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - hairy - 10-06-2015

I like things mobile. " />

I keep chucks and chuck stuff in a wall cabinet, plus shelves for steadys and related crap.

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - NCPaladin - 10-06-2015

Here is what I came up with.
About 5' long, 30' High, 14" total depth including both doors. Pegboard in doors for storing on both sides. Sixteen linear feet of pegboard.
I can reach any item standing at the lathe with no more than one step.

Outer Doors Open

Inner doors open.

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - Big Dave - 10-07-2015

I need to come up with a better plan for what I've got, too. For someone who bought a lathe for the occasional need for something round, I sure seem to be acquiring a rather large assortment of tools...

I'll be watching this thread pretty close.

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - glzahn - 10-07-2015

So great solutions so far! I have limited floor space so I need to hang stuff on the walls. Although, available wall space is dwindling as well.

Re: Lathe tool and accessory storage. - shoottmx - 10-07-2015

This won't help for your floor space issue but it's what I got. I haven't collected all that many tools (yet), I can move it to the spot that is handiest for what I'm turning and can stuff it in the corner when I'm done.

g