Woodnet Forums
Finish questions for bottle stoppers - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Finish questions for bottle stoppers (/showthread.php?tid=7123337)

Finish questions for bottle stoppers - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 10-20-2015

I want to turn some wooden stoppers and am interested in using CA on them. I'm well versed in it, having turned many wooden pens with a CA finish.

How's the durability? I'm referring to incidents of crazing, particularly.

I also have wipe-on poly, but it's incredibly slow, compared to CA, especially in a production setting. Any tips or advice there?

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - Arlin Eastman - 10-20-2015

No problem on using it just not lots of coats maybe 3 or 4 with sanding after 2 and 4 to make it smooth.

That is how I did it but I am sure others know other ways.

Arlin

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - chips ahoy - 10-20-2015

If you are doing production go with the CA. I have used it with no issues, 4-5 coats. It is my experience that most of the people who buy them never use them or if they do it is on rare occasions when they have special company visiting.

Mel

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - Shop Dad - 10-20-2015

I use spray lacquer. Fast, easy, durable.

Doug

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - Sawdustd - 10-21-2015

I use General Finishes "High Performance" primarily because its my go-to top coat finish. It dries within 1 1/2 hours, has great flattener resulting in NO bubbles and its very durable. I mount a stopper on a dowell so I can twrill it around with my thumb and forefinger while applying 3 light coats with a 1" foam brush. I use a 2500 grit pad to remove rough spots between coats.

I turn and sell stoppers as a hobby. The ultimate finish in terms of durability, look/feel, and ease of application remains a mystery. I started with Shellawax which is applied with the stopper on the lathe. Easy, quick, won't chip/peel, has an ultra soft fell, and beautiful luster. Problem is that the luster dulls after 3 weeks. Tried spray
Shellac. Didn't like it at all.

I've never tried CA. Is it applied while the piece is spinning on the lathe? What consistancey of CA do you use -- Thin-Med etc?

Dave

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 10-22-2015

Dave--

I use medium viscosity. I apply it while spinning at the lowest speed on my VS Jet mini. I wish I could get it slower, but I can't.

A couple of drops on a folded strip of paper towel, then spritz it with accelerator. Careful of sharp ridges on the piece--the CA can collect there and then "bubble" when the accelerator is applied.

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - Sawdustd - 10-23-2015

Thanks Brad. I have the same lathe. Gonna try it.

Dave

Re: Finish questions for bottle stoppers - Woodshop - 10-23-2015

Brad
have you tried dipping them in polly or lacquer. one dip in oil polly and hang them up. usually leaves a thick coat and after 5-10 minutes I dab off the final drip
the bottle stopper shaped work great for dipping as does bottle openers, especially when doing a bunch at a time.
Thats how I did these, I did about 30 of them. didn't take long
CA would be a better more durable finish. just takes longer.
just be careful with the CA, bad for your health and can start fires