Woodnet Forums
Mallet preference - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Mallet preference (/showthread.php?tid=7127660)

Mallet preference - mbw - 10-26-2015

What's your preferred type of mallet for cutting dovetails?
Thanks in advance
Mark

Re: Mallet preference - Peter Tremblay - 10-26-2015

I vastly prefer a "carvers style mallet"

I tend to use one of the green head polyurethane mallets. I have two of those; 20oz and 12oz for different sized dovetails.

I also have a 5 lb stainless steel carvers mallet that I wrapped in leather and I will use that from time to time.

I like a heavier mallet as I can take lighter taps and get more control without a big swing.

Re: Mallet preference - tirebob - 10-26-2015

I like a round head vs a flat faced mallet. I always reach for my 16 ounce Blue Spruce. Lovely weight and feel in hand!

Re: Mallet preference - mbw - 10-26-2015

interesting Peter, I asked because I've seen some videos using the smaller brass mallets. I'm just getting back into hand cuts, after a long hiatus, because of painful disability in my hands. I'm switching to Japanese style saw because western grip hurts too much. I use the type mallet you described now and thought maybe a shorter handle could increase my control. Your opinion is appreciate. At this point I am primarily a box maker.

mark

Re: Mallet preference - MichaelMouse - 10-26-2015

It's the length of the stroke that gives control more than the mass of the mallet. Short stroke with the 20 oz will move more wood than the lesser mass.

I make my own out of hornbeam, and the weight's about the same in any 4.5" diameter, but the longer (lever) handle is the way I get more power.

Re: Mallet preference - TobyC - 10-26-2015

conestoga woodworks?

Link?

Re: Mallet preference - AHill - 10-26-2015

+1 I've tried a urethane coated mallet and didn't like it. To me, it just reduces feedback. They are supposedly designed to transfer more of the energy to the chisel, but in reality a lot of that energy just goes to compress the urethane vs. transferred to the chisel. I will use a square mallet for heavy duty chopping like for mortises, but lately, I've pretty much gone to a tailed tool for making loose tenon mortises.

tirebob said:

I like a round head vs a flat faced mallet. I always reach for my 16 ounce Blue Spruce. Lovely weight and feel in hand!

Re: Mallet preference - Anji12305 - 10-26-2015

I like the 20 ounce Stanley "soft face" hammer.

Anything heavier, and I start mis-hitting.

Anything lighter, and the chisel wanders.

I don't like metal hammers on my chisels.

I find the larger the face, the more likely I'll strike off center.

Re: Mallet preference - Derek Cohen - 10-26-2015

Well, I prefer a steel gennou for Japanese hooped chisels. That offers the most feedback and feel ...

The round carvers mallets are totally wrong, in my opinion. I have the Blue Spruce version, and it is beautiful, just wonderful ... but wrong for bench chisels ... for me. Smaller heads offer more directed downforce in a smaller area. This translates to efficient use of force.

My second mallet is a wooden face/leather face modification of the LV Cabinetmakers mallet. Also excellent feedback with a solid wack. Good weight. Used on non-hooped chisels ...

And if I need to keep the noise down, I use an 18oz Thor ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Mallet preference - Bibliophile 13 - 10-26-2015

Since I've taken to sawing out the dovetail waste with a coping saw, I've almost stopped using a mallet altogether. I just pare with hand pressure. If I need a mallet, I just grab whatever happens to be at hand.