Woodnet Forums
Gota brag about the wife - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Gota brag about the wife (/showthread.php?tid=7131542)

Gota brag about the wife - n7bsn - 10-29-2015

Last night our club had a big party because we have been an AAW chapter for 25 years. As a result there were a lot of "names" that attended, Bonnie Klien, Dan Ackerman, Dave Schweitzer, Larry Miller (youth in turning), etc.

Well, my wife (Impkitti) has been experimenting with inserting colored toothpicks into the bowls she turns as an embellishment.

Bonnie and a couple of others said they had never seen anyone do this before!

It's not a big innovation, but it's a an innovation!

Re: Gota brag about the wife - iclark - 10-29-2015

very

Re: Gota brag about the wife - AHill - 10-29-2015

Just exactly how does one insert a toothpick into a bowl? Do you have a pic? This intrigues me.

Re: Gota brag about the wife - Arlin Eastman - 10-29-2015

All I can say it is so nice to see her posting again and really hope both of you do more. I missed both of you here.

Arlin

Re: Gota brag about the wife - robo hippy - 10-30-2015

Impkitty, I am going to have to remember that one.... Did I miss out on cinnamon rolls???

robo hippy

Re: Gota brag about the wife - sniper - 10-30-2015

AHill said:

Just exactly how does one insert a toothpick into a bowl? Do you have a pic? This intrigues me.

+1

Congrats to Impkitti

Re: Gota brag about the wife - n7bsn - 10-30-2015

robo hippy said:

Impkitty, I am going to have to remember that one.... Did I miss out on cinnamon rolls???

robo hippy

You met her "Imp-Kitty" when you were here last year, unfortunately he died (at age 18) last winter.

But she says she has cinnamon rolls waiting for your next visit.

Re: Gota brag about the wife - dartman - 10-30-2015

Way to go for the missus...

Re: Gota brag about the wife - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 10-30-2015

I'm envisioning it, let me know if this is correct-

drill small 3/16 or 1/8" holes at intervals (regular spacing or random for different looks) around the rough turned bowl from outside to inside, then glue in colored toothpics to fill the holes. Complete turning.

If that's correct, then I think it's a fantastic idea and very whimsical. Way cool and congrats to her. I imagine she could do the same with dowel rods for larger polka dots.

Re: Gota brag about the wife - iclark - 10-31-2015

I think that these are excellent and a fun idea.

In a somewhat similar vein, there were some bowls in the AAW Gallery in Pittsburgh this year where someone had glued/epoxied black walnut shells into the bowl blank. I am not sure, but I think that the shells were nominally oriented so that the top/bottom of the nut were aligned on a radius. The bowls were on the order of 1/4" thick so the shells gave patterned openings.

I think that I like the toothpicks better than the black walnut nuts.