Woodnet Forums
Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt (/showthread.php?tid=7143237)

Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - sniper - 11-14-2015

My SIL needs a miter saw and has picked out the 12in DeWalt (he's borrowing his Dad's 10in Delta MS). I've had a 10in Bosch SCMS for 18 years and love it. He would prefer the 12in SCMS but for the price. I know the 10in made a big difference with the slide but I'm not sure if it's that important when you step up to the 12in. They just moved into there first house with limited tool room for now. Next year will be a partial demo and rebuild of an old shop building in the back yard.

My question for those who have used both: In a 12in saw, is the slide (Bosch glide system) worth the extra $240? I could get the DeWalt SCMS for only $60 more but I think the Bosch is a better design (IMHO it's definitely a neater design).

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - daveferg - 11-14-2015

I've had a DW 12" CMS for years and it's been great. There is an issue with the electronic brake, but that may have just been on the older models. Otherwise, it holds alignment beautifully, and was aligned right out of the box---and at least the one I bought came with a premium DW blade--so no cheapo blade you had to later replace.

DW offers great support for parts, etc.

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - museumguy - 11-14-2015

I own the Bosch. I use the Dewalt at work. Soooooo many things are better with the Bosch. The only downfall is the Bosch is heavier. I would pay the extra for the Bosch every day, all day, any day.

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - Steve N - 11-14-2015

Was at Menards today and the 12"Bosch glide was $599, same price as the 10"

Menards

They also had a sale 11% off, and this saw had some special bringing the starting price down to $532 I think. Much lower they pay you to take em, not sure if deal goes with a shipped purchase, might be worth checking. Much better saw

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - sniper - 11-14-2015

Steve, thanks for the heads up but the rebate is an in-store credit, not a real check and since there aren't any Menards around here, it doesn't help.

Garry, thanks for the review. Now to convince LOML that we should spend the extra on the SIL.

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - Steve N - 11-15-2015

Steve I wasn't sure how it would work long distance, figured I'd say something just in case it would, sorry you don't have them down there yet. They shake up the business model for HD, and Lowes around here in a positive way for "we the people"

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - K. L. McReynolds - 11-15-2015

What are his expected uses?

Unless he is gonna do wide crown or 6" decking, the 12" DeWalt CMS is fine.

I've had one for over 15 years, used it almost daily for five years(had to have new bearings installed) in doing decking and interior trim work.

Still have it and use it occasionally. I bought the DeWalt over the Bosch because of the handle design, disliked the vertical design handle.

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - Bill_de - 11-15-2015

Money is no object. Well, it is. But when you figure the typical lifespan of these things it makes sense to buy the one that best suits his needs for now and in the future.

That said, while my 12 inch Bosch slider worked well, it took up a lot of room. I realized I never needed the added depth it affords. My replacement for it is a 10 inch.

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - BloomingtonMike - 11-15-2015

If that dewalt has the led light for the exact shadow line placement cut it is outstanding. Have it on my 10" dewalt and it is awesome.

If you sell the menards rebate let me know.

Re: Miter saw comparison Bosch vs Dewalt - SeanĀ® - 11-15-2015

I'm sure they are all fine but my money went to the 399 dollar Dewalt.

I just can't say enough good things about this saw.

Love love love it.