Woodnet Forums
Thermostat for 5K shop heater - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Thermostat for 5K shop heater (/showthread.php?tid=7143783)

Thermostat for 5K shop heater - Bill Mains - 11-15-2015

Can a guy wire an external thermostat to a 5K shop heater? Currently on lowest setting(on built in stat) the shop is 65 degrees which is too warm when not in shop.

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - fredhargis - 11-15-2015

I have one of those I've meaning to put in my garage for occasional use. I always thought I could get a line voltage stat to put on it. Not as accurate as the low voltage ones, but still better than nothing.

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - blackhat - 11-15-2015

Put a line voltage tstat in the feeder.

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - BloomingtonMike - 11-15-2015

A taco 401 and thermostat could act as a temp controlled relay to then send power to your setup. It would only send power to your heaters thermostat when the tacos thermostat/you decided it was needed. It would turn it off when the taco/them temp was reached.

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - TDKPE - 11-15-2015

What blackhat said. Cheapest, simplest way. Should be able to get one at the BORG for $16. 22A, 120/240V, single-pole (can switch a 240V heater, as it's not the disconnect), 40-80F adjustment range. They also have a double-pole for another $5 with th same specs, if it makes you feel better switching both legs (assuming it's a 240V heater).

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - Woodamaker - 11-15-2015

Have my 2 5000W units operating on external thermostats,
(Honeywell CT410B Manual 4 Wire Premium Baseboard/Line Volt Thermostat (YCT410B1000/U) Amazon

Hooked them up like the original thermostat in order that the fan could run cool down cycle for heating element. Been in use couple years and work fine, keeping shop around 45 degrees, when not in use. Thinking only used 2 of the 4 wires, not sure!

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - 3finger - 11-15-2015

I've got mine controlled by a wifi thermostat using a 24V transformer to power the thermostat which in turn controls a contactor with a 24V coil that switches the heater on and off. The advantage is that I can turn on the heat in the shop with my cell phone from the house without having to go out into the cold.

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - Bill Mains - 11-23-2015

Woodamaker can you tell me how you wired it Or does Anyone one know how Woodamaker wired his 5k heater like he mentioned in his reply to my question?

Re: Thermostat for 5K shop heater - Herb G - 11-23-2015

blackhat said:

Put a line voltage tstat in the feeder.

This ^^^^^. Money well spent.
The new ones are very accurate IMHO.