Woodnet Forums
Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck (/showthread.php?tid=7155336)

Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - sniper - 11-30-2015

I'm turning a mallet out of a Hickory log and am wondering which end I should put into the Nova chuck, the handle (1.25" dia. ) or the striking (3" dia.) end?

I first thought of the striking end but that would leave a deeper cut when I trim it off. Doing the handle would make the cut off easier, but then I have a necked down section with a heavy end hanging in space, even with a cup helping hold it in the tail stock.

What do y'all suggest?

Thanks.

Steve

Re: Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - theeviltwinn - 11-30-2015

Turn it between centers - problem solved

Twinn

Re: Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - MichaelMouse - 11-30-2015

theeviltwinn said:

Turn it between centers - problem solved

Twinn

^^^^This. It's worked fine for me. Use the spur center in the larger, part down close, then use the flat created by the parting to cut it off. You'll want a way to set it on its head to keep it from getting away.

Re: Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - AHill - 11-30-2015

Another vote for between centers. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it that way. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS5XoD8D0VI

Re: Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - robo hippy - 11-30-2015

My preference is to put a tenon on it, and turn in a chuck. Make sure to leave enough room for your hand, and to part off what you are not using. I put the head in the chuck. I finish turn down till there is about an inch on the head end, and as close as I can on the handle end. I then take the tail stock off, slow the speed down, and finish turn the butt of the handle, then use a parting tool to cut off the head from the tenon. Saves a bit of chiseling time, and you do have to sand off the top of the head, which you have to do anyway.

robo hippy

Re: Advice on which end to put in to the Nova chuck - sniper - 11-30-2015

Thanks all.

I used robo's method and it worked great. This was the way I was leaning anyway and having him confirm it really helped. The mallet came out great and I had no problems. The only cleanup was chiseling and sanding the nub off the head end.