Woodnet Forums
Band saw resaaw problems - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Band saw resaaw problems (/showthread.php?tid=7157642)

Band saw resaaw problems - YSU65 - 12-02-2015

I have the Griz 513 extreme with a 1/2" blade. When I try to resaw some QS red oak, it will not track. Not even remotely. If I try to do it free hand, ie without the fence, the blade belles out to the right and through the piece. With the fence, the drift angle is beyond the fence drift settings, like more than 5 degrees. It starts out OK the cuts a wedge instead of a parallel slice. Everything is aligned for tracking.

Is the blade dead?? Thanks, Tom

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - JGrout - 12-02-2015

Is the blade dead??

could be. how much use has it seen? what brand is it?

Could also be under tensioned (a fairly common occurrence)

don't believe the tensioner on the back of the saw, they tend to lie, and I would skip the flutter method as well.

You need more tension not more ways to prove you do not have enough

Joe

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - Rchan63 - 12-02-2015

I have the same problem after installing a brand new Timberwolf blade. No matter what I do it will not cut straight. I contacted PS Wood Machine and they told me it's most likely I bought a faulty blade. They replace it free of charge.

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - YSU65 - 12-02-2015

Where are folks getting their blades these days?? Thanks, Tom

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - JGrout - 12-02-2015

woodcraft bands....

Lenox and Starret brand blades which are as good as you can buy

you will have to call the 800 number and talk to an actual person who will assist you if you want information.

Except on Fridays he takes that day off

Joe

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - Rchan63 - 12-02-2015

I got the Timberwolf at Woodcraft. Then I mail order some at bandsawblades.com.

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - Steve N - 12-02-2015

Call 888-778-WOOD talk to him about your saw, and what you want to do. He'll get you fixed up.

Or go to

this page and a "have a question" balloon will pop up. No charge for free advice......

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - Eochaid4 - 12-02-2015

Steve N said:

Call 888-778-WOOD talk to him about your saw, and what you want to do. He'll get you fixed up.

Or go to

this page and a "have a question" balloon will pop up. No charge for free advice......

+1 on Cyber Woodworking Depot. Great blades and great advice.

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - jteneyck - 12-02-2015

What kind of blade? Resawing requires a blade with very few teeth, like 3 or 4 for a 1/2" blade. Drift is caused by a blade that's not positioned properly on the wheels or wheels that aren't close to co-planer, a blade that doesn't have equal set on both sides, or is dull on one side. A belly in the blade could be due to too little tension, or most of what I said above.

John

Re: Band saw resaaw problems - Alan S - 12-02-2015

The blade may not be dead, but it's likely dead for resawing unless resharpened. A bandsaw blade used for resawing needs to be sharper than one used to cut thinner materials, as explained here. He also shows why tension helps.