Woodnet Forums
What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? (/showthread.php?tid=7161079)

What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - Andrew Jordan - 12-06-2015

What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ?

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - tim_leo - 12-06-2015

brass brush?

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - Bill_Houghton - 12-06-2015

Not sure of the best. I'd consider a toothbrush and some kind of cleaning compound, starting with dish soap and working up to one of the gentle abrasive cleaners (Soft Scrub, Bon Ami), but stopping there.

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - rectangle618 - 12-06-2015

Soak the knurled part overnight in mineral spirits. Use an old toothbrush and WD-40 to clean brass parts. Use a small brass bristle brush and WD-40 for steel parts.

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - hbmcc - 12-06-2015

Welcome to the list, Andrew. You will find a lot of good information, opinion, and advice. I love to hit the Search feature.

Contributions are always welcome. That's how we learn.

Some may say a patinated old tool is better, but mineral spirits cleans up most mistakes, like tar.

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - Arlin Eastman - 12-06-2015

Welcome to WoodNet handtools Andrew

I use a power brass wire wheel because I do not know any better and it is fast too.

I have soaked them in WD40 for a few days (Mostly because I forgot about them) and them used a brass brush too.

So what do they go to?

Arlin

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - thomasegan - 12-06-2015

- what is on the knurling? Rust?
if so, then a few hour soak in citric acid or vinegar plus some brass brushing.
Greasy grunge? Mineral spirits or similar solvent. and some brushing.
Could be some careful filing - if you have some very small files (needle, swiss pattern) is required to get the crud out.
that's all I got.

te

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - Steve N - 12-07-2015

I like starting at Vinegar. Mostly it's dirt and grunge that I find embedded there. Vinegar works like magic often, and has little downside, except that faint smell which quickly goes away.

If that doesn't get it, then I move up the food chain. Diesel fuel is another soak that gets little love here. It's fairly hands off, drop em in a bucket, few days later peek to see if they don't look purty

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - bridger - 12-07-2015

Hot soapy water and a stiff brush works well.

Re: What is the best way to clean the knurling on old tools ? - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 12-07-2015

Machinist friend said a firm toothbrush and Comet. Make a paste with the Comet and a tiny bit of water or vinegar so it sticks well.