Woodnet Forums
Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Toolkit for a 4-year-old? (/showthread.php?tid=7168930)

Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - JustinTyson - 12-15-2015

I'm trying to put together a small toolkit for my 4-year-old daughter for Christmas (I know, I know, I'm always late...)

Been scratching my head trying to figure out what should go in it. I want to give her real tools - she can easily sink a 6d nail with a hammer and bore a hole with a brace and bit. She would not be happy with toys.

Here's a list I have so far. Any of you with more experience on the parenting front have any more suggestions to add? I would put a brace on the list but all of mine are 10" swing which is really a bit too big for her.

• Small hammer
  • Stanley 102 block plane
  • Spokeshave
  • Screwdrivers
  • Pliers
  • Tape Measure
  • Try square
  • Pencils

Re: Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - Scott W - 12-15-2015

So freakin'

Re: Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - John Clifford - 12-15-2015

Yankee push drill

Re: Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - JustinTyson - 12-15-2015

John Clifford said:

Yankee push drill

Oh! That's a good one. They're so cool anyway she'd love it. I have a small one that I bought at Liberty Tool last summer, but I don't have any bits for it. Anyone here have spares that they'd sell for a reasonable price? Just a couple would be fine.

The timing of you post is getting me. I am making my 4 yr olds first bench this weekend. He uses a block plane, egg beater and hammer....plus he is quite adept at using a cordless drill/driver. We have disassembled furniture to show for it...

Re: Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - brianwelch - 12-15-2015

Maybe a file/rasp? And a tool apron/pouch...
Great idea and a great start...

brianwelch said:

Oh, her grandmother like to sew. Maybe I could ask her to make a shop apron. My wife is 41 weeks pregnant so I know better than to ask her

Scott W said:

The timing of you post is getting me. I am making my 4 yr olds first bench this weekend.

Awesome! I would build a bench for my daughter, but I'd have nowhere to put it in my 12x16 workshop

JustinTyson said:

[blockquote]brianwelch said:

Oh, her grandmother like to sew. Maybe I could ask her to make a shop apron. My wife is 41 weeks pregnant so I know better than to ask her

[/blockquote]

awesome

Re: Toolkit for a 4-year-old? - MichaelMouse - 12-15-2015

Exactly what I did for the granddaughters - real and capable tools. Broke down and got the eight year old a battery drill last year after she pinched her fingers once too many on the MF eggbeater.

One of her favorite tools is her spokeshave, but I can't convince her that the Japanese saws are better than the push variety. The six year old loves her rasps.