Woodnet Forums
Good Weather Radio? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Good Weather Radio? (/showthread.php?tid=7180704)

Good Weather Radio? - PhilJoines - 12-30-2015

Anyone know of a good weather radio? We have one from the shack but it's acting weird.

Re: Good Weather Radio? - fredhargis - 12-30-2015

I've had 3 Midland models that have always been really good. The current one does have a drawback: the siren (scream, alert, whatever) is ear splitting loud...I mean stick your head in a jet engine loud. Ours is in the master bedroom, and you can hear it very well anywhere in the house. They could have at least give you 2 volume settings, one regular and one "don't wake the dead". Still, it's a very good unit with lots of features. When I said we've had 3, that was over the last 30+ years, so they have a good long life.

Re: Good Weather Radio? - Splinter Puller - 12-30-2015

I so want to make a joke about you needing a "bad" weather radio but this is not the basement.

Re: Good Weather Radio? - theeviltwinn - 12-30-2015

I had a good weather radio. It didn't work when it rained.

Twinn

Re: Good Weather Radio? - Woodenfish - 12-30-2015

There's an app for that.

HTH

Re: Good Weather Radio? - PhilJoines - 12-31-2015

Amazon has a Midland WR120EZ that gets good reviews. Guess I'll get that one.

Don't have (or want) a smart phone.

Re: Good Weather Radio? - gMike - 12-31-2015

For anything to do with a radio I go to C. Crane.

http://www.ccrane.com/

Re: Good Weather Radio? - daddo - 12-31-2015

Was in a guys shop and saw a radio with a large hole drilled through it and mounted on a long metal rod. I asked what that was. He said it was a weather radio. I asked how does that work?
"You hold it up to the sky and look through the hole to check the weather- if it is bright, the sun is out- if it's dark, it's cloudy- if your eye gets wet, it's raining- if you get dirt in your eye, it's a tornado".
I asked about the metal rod. he said you hold it up in the air to check for lightning.

Re: Good Weather Radio? - tsbrewers - 01-01-2016

fredhargis said:

I've had 3 Midland models that have always been really good. The current one does have a drawback: the siren (scream, alert, whatever) is ear splitting loud...I mean stick your head in a jet engine loud. Ours is in the master bedroom, and you can hear it very well anywhere in the house. They could have at least give you 2 volume settings, one regular and one "don't wake the dead". Still, it's a very good unit with lots of features. When I said we've had 3, that was over the last 30+ years, so they have a good long life.

We have had 2 midlands, neither made it more than about a year and a half. We now use a sangean that is about 5 years old.