Woodnet Forums
What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but (/showthread.php?tid=7188694)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - jussi - 01-09-2016

Anything green from Germany

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - AHill - 01-09-2016

Starrett combo and double squares. Perfectly accurate every single time, and I use one or both on nearly every project. Not used every time, but a big game changer for me is the Festool Domino. The thing saves so much time, and it's deadly accurate.

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - DieselDennis - 01-09-2016

Pocket hole screws.

I was hesitant that the end of the board wouldn't just break off when pressure was applied, but hundreds of joints later, it's probably my most popular joint.

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - Herebrooks - 01-10-2016

All of them!!!!

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - Axehandle - 01-10-2016

Yeti Ramblers

I can woodwork all morning and my coffee is still hot in the afternoon.

Makes it so I don't need a coffee pot out in the shop.

Seriously though. This think works so good the govt is going to put a tax on it soon.

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - EatenByLimestone - 01-10-2016

My credit card. Whooda thunk I could tell somebody 16 numbers and an expiration date and they'd send me just about any tool I'd need.

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - BobW - 01-11-2016

Since you started the OP talking about Woodpeckers stuff, I'll just say that I look at their "one time tool" offerings and just chuckle. They're cool, but way too many $ for the problem they're trying to solve (if there was even really a problem). However, my favorite measuring tool is the 6" Pocket Paolini Rule. It gets pulled out of my apron pocket very often when I'm in the shop...as a rule, depth gauge, mini square, etc. They have reintroduced it several times, but I think they should make it a production item.

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - bennybmn - 01-11-2016

Looking back I would say proper dust collection has probably made the hobby so much better for me.

But after that I'd say drum sander. Especially since I make a lot of cutting boards as gifts. I looked at a buddy of mine cross eyed for getting one before a surface planer several years ago, but his logic was "look how much sanding I can get done with good dust control" and now I agree too. Of course it has to have dust collection hooked up to work well

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - Routerman - 01-11-2016

My rectangle maker.
Makes squares, rectangles, triangles etc. to ~.001". (NFS, no plans either)
I thought it might work; it did. But used up 4 months to find out.

I make jigs. The thing quickly mills a bandsawn coupon from ~1" -13" x up to 22" long x up to 1.5" thick.
Whether aluminum, plastic, MDF or wood. Polices its own messes, work and motor on separate and independent carriages. Work cannot escape, trapped in 11/12 ways.
Used on nearly every piece I make.

Re: What woodworking tool/gadget were you skeptical of at first, but - Sundowner - 01-12-2016

jussi said:

Anything green from Germany

agree. I got a used package deal for a Festool track saw with the Domino, sander, and the vacuum (I refuse to call it a 'dust extractor') that was the same price as just the track saw new. I didn't think any of them were worth the price, but I can't believe how useful they really are.