Woodnet Forums
Best drum sander? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Best drum sander? (/showthread.php?tid=7189311)

Pages: 1 2 3

Best drum sander? - Wild Turkey - 01-09-2016

Friend is shopping for a drum sander for some flat panels he will be making. I think the largest will be 24".

I've sent him some videos on the Jet and Supermax sanders, what others should he consider? It will be a small production situation, not a hobby shop so he needs something reliable and robust.

Re: Best drum sander? - Steve N - 01-10-2016

Jet 16/32 is $971+

SuperMax 19/38 is $1399+

I did the comparison a year ago, plus was lucky enough to have a dealer in Cinci where I could run both of them. I bought the SuperMax, and for my $$$$$ I would have gone to 2K if needed. I guess if you want to buy in low, but you do get what you pay for, with this tool seemingly more than most others. My $0.02.

Re: Best drum sander? - Arlin Eastman - 01-10-2016

Grizzly has several options also.

Arlin

Re: Best drum sander? - fredhargis - 01-10-2016

If I ever get another one it will be the Supermax 19/38. I rate it currently the best of the open end sanders. That doesn't discount the 16/32, but I think the Supermax has more bag for the buck. For a long time I thought my choice would be a Jet 22/44 oscillator thinking it would solve some of the problems with a DS (lines on the wood). Then I starting reading reports that the lines just became snake tracks instead of straight, so I gave up on it...no sense buying a more complicated machine if there's no advantage. But a 22/44 without the oscillation is worthy of consideration.

Re: More info... - Rick L - 01-10-2016

What's the longest and widest panel he will be sanding???? With that info I may have better and cheaper option. 40 years in the business and used sanders you couldn't imagine.

Re: Best drum sander? - David G - 01-10-2016

I have been happy with the Supermax. Based on a recent thread, I have started "near finishing" with 180G. Lines are visible in a raking light, but sand out easily.

I would recommend against the optional cabinet stand. With the feed tables installed, the cabinet door is basically inaccessible without getting on the floor. Storing 3" high sandpaper rolls in a 20" high cabinet is a waste of space.

Re: Best drum sander? - jteneyck - 01-10-2016

If it's a production operation, no matter how small, I would not get a cantilevered drum sander. You want something a lot more robust than any of the ones I've seen. I'd get a Woodmaster. Made in the USA, too. They make a 26" model, as well as larger ones, in a single drum unit, and double drum units starting at 38".

John

Re: Best drum sander? - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 01-10-2016

Have one of the original Performax 16/32" sanders and absolutely love it. It is a workhorse in my shop and do not know how I can get along without it. Money well spent. I do not have the room for a supermax but if i did I probably would go that way. Good luck. Check Craig's list.

Re: Best drum sander? - fasteddie - 01-10-2016

Yes a Woodmaster is a good choice, also look at Woodtek dual drum sander.
http://woodworker.com/25-dual-drum-sande...mp;searchmode=2

Re: Best drum sander? - cincytom - 01-10-2016

I have the Jet 22/44 non-oscillating. I love it. Have had it for about 4 years, no issues.