Woodnet Forums
weight of walnut - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: weight of walnut (/showthread.php?tid=7189476)

weight of walnut - tablesawtom - 01-10-2016

I have a top to a blanket chest that is made out of walnut. I would like to know the weight of walnut per board feet so I can calculate the actual weight of the top.

MY other question is the weight in a full inch thick. I know that steel is .2834 per cubic inch so any size can be calculated. But hardwood wood is bought by the board foot because it is rough sawn at one inch but it may not be actual size.

Tom

Re: weight of walnut - jteneyck - 01-10-2016

Black walnut has an average oven dry specific gravity of 0.55 g/cc. If your wood is at, say, 8% MC, then it would have a SG of about 0.59 g/cc, which is 36.75 lb/ft^3 in English units. A BF = 12" x 12" x 1" = 0.0833 ft^3, so 1 BF of black walnut at 8% MC will have an average weight of 3.06 lbs.

Hope that helps.

John

Re: weight of walnut - DonJuvet - 01-10-2016

jteneyck said:

Black walnut has an average oven dry specific gravity of 0.55 g/cc. If your wood is at, say, 8% MC, then it would have a SG of about 0.59 g/cc, which is 36.75 lb/ft^3 in English units. A BF = 12" x 12" x 1" = 0.0833 ft^3, so 1 BF of black walnut at 8% MC will have an average weight of 3.06 lbs.

Hope that helps.

John

Yeah.... I was going to say just that very same thing...

Engineers, useful at time they are

Re: weight of walnut - Steve N - 01-10-2016

Useful Aliens they are

Re: weight of walnut - jteneyck - 01-10-2016

We Aliens make the world work!

John

Re: weight of walnut - fredhargis - 01-10-2016

jteneyck said:

John

I should introduce you to some of the engineering division guys from my day job....didn't seem like anything they did worked. But I'm pretty sure it was always technically correct!

Re: weight of walnut - Steve N - 01-10-2016

jteneyck said:

John

I have to say at the current place where I work I am under a bunch of safety nerds, and they are all engineers. It's a first in my occupational exposure that the ideas the engineers put on paper, actually work in production reality. It's kinda refreshing, and I have a much better view of engineers as a whole. Previously they were just educated idiots with zero common sense, who FUBAR'd everything they touched. I say that in the nicest way possible

Re: weight of walnut - handi - 01-10-2016

Yeah, no.

I have been working wood professionally for 30 years. While you can look up the specific weight of any species of wood, they can and will vary A LOT based on any number of factors, and I am NOT referring to moisture content.

Most species I have worked with are generally similar in weight board to board, but I always seem to find outliers, both heavier and lighter than the norm.

If you need to know the weight to insure that your top will be safely supported by a particular support, then you might want to simply gather the boards and weight them, even before you glue it all up.

Ralph

Re: weight of walnut - Jason/Woody - 01-10-2016

tablesawtom said:

I have a top to a blanket chest that is made out of walnut. I would like to know the weight of walnut per board feet so I can calculate the actual weight of the top.

Tom

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here...if you have the top, why not just put it on a scale and weigh it?

Re: weight of walnut - Joel H. - 01-10-2016

Jason, you're not thinking as an "engineer". That could be misleading, inaccurate and God-forbid too simple. It has to be academically analyzed, theorized, and empirically tested before an adequate discussion can determine the best way to determine.

Watch, listen & learn grasshopper.