Woodnet Forums
Gouges - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Gouges (/showthread.php?tid=7189720)

Pages: 1 2

Gouges - dartman - 01-10-2016

Can you (me) use a spindle gouge on the inside of a bowl.
Is it safe,dangerous,ok to use? What should I watch for if I use one.

Re: Gouges - jerickson - 01-10-2016

It depends on what type of spindle gouge you're talking about, but, generally speaking, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure others will chime in too. I turned my first couple of bowls with one because I didn't know the difference, so it can be done. However, it was pretty hairy.

Re: Gouges - chips ahoy - 01-10-2016

I have used a 3/8ths inch spindle gouge, then got a bowl gouge, much better.

Mel

Re: Gouges - AHill - 01-10-2016

You can, BUT...

The bevel angle on a typical spindle gouge won't allow you to reach to the bottom of a bowl safely. Once you modify a spindle gouge to do that, it's really now a bowl gouge. Also, bowl gouges tend to have a deeper flute, which enables you to remove more waste. The flues on spindle gouges are shallower.

Re: Gouges - Arlin Eastman - 01-10-2016

A spindle gouge is a great detailing tool, but the bevel is way to shallow on it and the flute not right to do it properly.

With my 1/2" or 5/8" bowl gouges I do the whole bowl with them. The steel is much thicker with a bowl gouge also.

Thanks for asking the question.

Arlin

Re: Gouges - Dennis Puskar - 01-11-2016

It is dangerous never use a spindle gouge on the inside of a bowl, I know a guy that has 4 stitches in his forhead from using one.

Re: Gouges - Wildwood - 01-11-2016

Never say never scroll down to Russ Fairfield’s pictures.

http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml

You often find the gouge Russ is using sold as a roughing gouge in spindle tool sets.

Del said in his video only difference between a bowl gouge & spindle gouge was bevel angle you put on the gouge. Back when Del made that video lot of frugal turners only use spindle gouges & scrappers to turn bowls. Del worked with Bob Stockdale who took a carving chisel and turned bowls & spindles with it. Eventually Bob met Jerry Glaser and the Bob Stockdale gouge became a genuine turning tool. Glaser Hitch now sells that gouge as a spindle gouge for $179 or $219 depending upon steel.

http://www.amazon.com/BOWL-TURNING-DVD-WITH-STUBBS/dp/B000UTJ2PU

I have used both 3/8” & ½” spindle gouge to turn small bowls and may grab my ½” gouge for turning outside a bowl when dealing with a trouble spot. Yes own 4 bowl gouges with different bevel angles & heavy duty scrapers.

Have a modified a worn out 3/8” spindle gouge similar to picture David Ellsworth posted in link above. Have normal handle and use when reverse turning cleaning up bottom of bowl. Have another worn out 3/8” spindle gouge similar to Ellsworth/Drozda for turning ornaments & finials.

So while can use spindle gouge to turn shallow bowls better use bowl gouge for better tool control and reach over the tool rest the deeper you go!

Nice read!
http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/sflute.htm

Re: Gouges - Herebrooks - 01-11-2016

So many grinds, so little time.
Great info, thanks

Re: Gouges - AHill - 01-11-2016

Wildwood said:

Del said in his video only difference between a bowl gouge & spindle gouge was bevel angle you put on the gouge.

And that's the key. A spindle roughing gouge is typically 45 deg. A spindle detail gouge is anywhere from 35 to 40 deg. A bowl gouge is more like 60 deg. If a spindle gouge with an unmodified bevel angle is used, the opportunity for a catch is greatly increased. It's very hard, if not impossible, to rub the bevel when getting near the bottom of a bowl. Since the reach to the bottom of a bowl often extends the tool pretty far from the tool rest, the results of a catch can be catastrophic.

Re: Gouges - DFJarvie - 01-11-2016

I use my Easy Wood Finisher to hollow the bowl. I have tried to use a bowl gouge but can't get it to work right. Catches too much. I'm taking a class in March so I will learn then.