Woodnet Forums
Random orbital sander - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Random orbital sander (/showthread.php?tid=7205261)

Random orbital sander - Cooler - 01-28-2016

My Porter-Cable random orbital sander is making lots of grinding noises (but still works) and is probably going to die soon. I have a palm sander (vibratory) but I don't recall the last time I used it.

My reading indicates that the P-C machines are not the most durable.

The Rigid sander got some good reviews, has a life time warranty and is priced very aggressively.

Any opinions or suggestions on a replacement? I use it for both rough sanding and final sanding.

I suspect that the canoe magazine that tested these had rough sanding primarily in mind.

Suggestions and recommendations are welcomed.

Regards,

Cooler

Re: Random orbital sander - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 01-28-2016

Do not know where you heard that about PC sanders but i recommend them. Maybe you just need a new pad.

Re: Random orbital sander - Cooler - 01-28-2016

JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Do not know where you heard that about PC sanders but i recommend them. Maybe you just need a new pad.

I replaced the pad a short while ago. The noises sound like transmission noises or gear grinding. It is also vibrating more than before. There is definitely some internal gearing issue. I will continue to use it until it dies. It is about 15 years old and has had moderate use. I would have thought it would last much longer.

Re: Random orbital sander - JIMB49 - 01-28-2016

I HAVE NOTICED SOME PC TOOLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY ONCE WHERE
GEE I HAVE THIS THING ABOUT USA MADE TOO! USED TO THINK PC WAS TOP OF LINE
HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF DOING AIR I SWITCHED TO THAT WAY BACK
IT SEEMS THAT THE TOOLS LAST LONGER

Re: Random orbital sander - Cooler - 01-28-2016

JIMB49 said:

I HAVE NOTICED SOME PC TOOLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY ONCE WHERE
GEE I HAVE THIS THING ABOUT USA MADE TOO! USED TO THINK PC WAS TOP OF LINE
HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF DOING AIR I SWITCHED TO THAT WAY BACK
IT SEEMS THAT THE TOOLS LAST LONGER

I have a pancake compressor. It does not generate enough volume of air for this sort of equipment. I don't think I will get a larger compressor.

Mine puts out 2 CFM at 90 pounds; the sanders seem to want 4 CFM at that poundage.

I like the pancake because it is light and small and easy to move around. But it is limited to nailers and the like. I can't paint with it or drive motors with it.

Re: Random orbital sander - JIMB49 - 01-28-2016

OK I SEE YOUR POINT NOW
GUESS BEING OLDER THAN SOME AND RETIRED I GET YOUR POINT
BUT TO ME IT SURE DOES SEEM THEY JUST DO NOT MAKE[ PC] THAT IS LIKE THEY USED TO I DO HAVE A RANDOM MILW I USE ITS OK BUT I CAN NOT LEAN ON IT LIKE THE AIR

Re: Random orbital sander - JGrout - 01-28-2016

welcome to the forums

And you can turn off the caps lock you do not need it here

Re: Random orbital sander - BloomingtonMike - 01-28-2016

Jim, What compressor are you using with your sander?

Welcome to the forum.

Re: Random orbital sander - Mike67 - 01-28-2016

Really like my Bosch. Its pretty smooth. Not fond of the Milwaukee - it wants to bounce around with a vac hooked up - less so if using the included dust bag.

Re: Random orbital sander - mouse jockey - 01-28-2016

What size are you talking about? I have an older Rigid 6" that is great, they are made in China now so I can't comment on it. I recently bought their 5" and had to take it back, I was using my shop vac and it made the sander almost useless, too much suction, then the static built up in the hose and I kept getting shocked! I read a few more reviews and found out this was a common issue and would lead to the speed control getting destroyed, it won't work after that. If you plan on using a shop vac, which you should for your health later, don't get the Rigid 5".
So my suggestion is anything else.

Myles