Woodnet Forums
With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... (/showthread.php?tid=7206913)

With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - C. in Indy - 01-30-2016

On an auction site I nabbed a small woodie, British bladed, and it looked to made of She-Oak. It's here now, and I think the wood will be gorgeous when it's cleaned and finished. It's a small guy about in the #2 to #3 size range.

The sole had a lot of edge-chips, and a pronounced hollow in front of the mouth. Fortunately the mouth's front wall is sloped such that sole-material-removal will not greatly open the aperture. Because of this, and because of the gorgeous grain, I did not want to add any replacement wood to the sole.

I epoxied/filled a few edge defects, then double-side-taped the plane, upside-down, to a wood sled. Here is where my most unique power-tool comes into play..... instead of a surface-grinder or a milling-machine, I have an Overarm Pin Router attachment on my Shopsmith "horse".

The initial truing work looks good, and was extremely satisfying to watch as I milled off a bit at a time. Looking forward to a really neat plane when I'm done:

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - Ricky - 01-30-2016

Sellers would be proud of you for restoring an old woodie.

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - Scott W - 01-30-2016

I look forward to seeing the final project.

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - Arlin Eastman - 01-30-2016

Scott W said:

I look forward to seeing the final project.

+1

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - Steve N - 01-30-2016

Yada yada about the woodie.........

I never knew they made a pin router attachment for the MK V

All I had ever seen was the solo tool

Read all about it

It's strange what we find interesting out of a post, ehh?

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - C. in Indy - 01-31-2016

1st cut finally accomplished!

It was a battle to get this plane to start cutting well. The worst part was the chipbreaker which tended to spring "open at the extremes" when tightened down. I did some tapping-out on the old thing, quite a lot of trial and error, and it finally started deflecting chips instead of capturing them.

The retaining wedge appears to be non-original, and I did a lot of quick strip-sanding to identify a new wedge-angle that started to work. Even there, the 2 narrow "f0rk tines" of the wedge are a little far out to do a great job of damping, since the installed iron is a little more shy on width in the cavity than ideal.

Also the main Iron has a primary bevel at 20 degrees or maybe less, so my current grind is a longish thing with a 2ndary 30 degree bevel at the end. Probably a situation somewhat prone for chatter-levering actions. I don't want to hog off a lot more blade just yet to shorten the grind area.

Anyway, here's how it looks now! Time to take a break and think whether I should put any more time into it, or just enjoy it without taking everything to the nth degree:

P.S. Sorry for the cloudy lighting today! Also, that's a homemade Desert Ironwood adjusting hammer there with it.

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - tablesawtom - 02-02-2016

You don't owe me any apologies, surface grinders don't work on wood and routers don't work on metal.

But I have always thought that the Shopsmith overarm router system looked like a great system. Just never had that amount of money I could part with.

In my opinion either one pictured would be a great addition to any shop. Maybe I will get lucky some day. I do own two Shopsmith mark 5s. Congratulations.

Tom

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - Scott W - 02-02-2016

Steve N said:

Yada yada about the woodie.........

I never knew they made a pin router attachment for the MK V

All I had ever seen was the solo tool

Read all about it

It's strange what we find interesting out of a post, ehh?

I had a chance to buy one and didnt. Oops. Wish I had.

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - C. in Indy - 02-06-2016

The little Moulson-bladed She-Oak plane is now earning its keep . I put a couple of coats of Howards Feed -n- Wax on it, and the color is nicer. Here depicted inside the latest cabinet I'm working on for my niece:

Re: With Apologies to Tablesaw Tom, Karl Holtey, Paul Sellers.... - C. in Indy - 03-04-2016

I used the old woodie some more, working on an upper door-compartment scheme.... now test-fitting. Always nice to have handplanes for fitting pieces which in my world are never quite square.

P.S. Shoot me, I use dowel joints a lot!