Woodnet Forums
Serrated blades - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Serrated blades (/showthread.php?tid=7224782)

Serrated blades - BobW - 02-19-2016

Although I've been trying to get more into planes lately, I really don't belong down here in WHT yet. But I have a question that can best be answered here: What's the best way to sharpen serrated knives? Namely the blade on a Leatherman Wave, but also on a couple of Henckels bread knives. Do I need various diameters of diamond files, or should I sharpen from the back (flat) side? Or ??? I do have a WorkSharp...any way to do it on that?

Re: Serrated blades - Fisherman - 02-19-2016

I think the answer is work on the flat side. I don't use My Serrated Blade because I don't want to sharpen it. Did you try Leatherman Site for info? Maybe FAQ?

Re: Serrated blades - BobW - 02-19-2016

Never thought of it, but that's a good idea.

Re: Serrated blades - Joe Bailey - 02-20-2016

have a look ...

Re: Serrated blades - Axehandle - 02-20-2016

Spyderco sharpmakers can sharpen serrated blades as well. That is what I use but it is pricey for the occasional user. Used with the diamond slipstones linked above and you will have a serrrated blade that is better than new.

Re: Serrated blades - Timberwolf - 02-20-2016

This is another example of how a Dremel and a diamond burr can come in handy if the knife has rounded gullets.

Re: Serrated blades - Aram - 02-20-2016

Axehandle said:

Spyderco sharpmakers can sharpen serrated blades as well. That is what I use but it is pricey for the occasional user. Used with the diamond slipstones linked above and you will have a serrrated blade that is better than new.

Amen to this. If you use it for your kitchen knives, pocket knives, scissors (yep, seriously) the the price looks very reasonable. I love mine, use it all the time for knives. It's very easy to use, and quick.

Re: Serrated blades - Axehandle - 02-20-2016

Aram said:

[blockquote]Axehandle said:

Amen to this. If you use it for your kitchen knives, pocket knives, scissors (yep, seriously) the the price looks very reasonable. I love mine, use it all the time for knives. It's very easy to use, and quick.

[/blockquote]

That's what I told the wife when I bought my first Tormek. I sharpened all her scissors with it and she has never questioned the obscene amount of dollars I have spen on sharpening equipment since.

Small victories won with small prices to pay. Wish they were all that easy.

Re: Serrated blades - AgGEM - 02-20-2016

BobW said:

Although I've been trying to get more into planes lately, I really don't belong down here in WHT yet.

Now why on earth do you think that?
They have not kicked me out.......quite yet.....

Ag