Woodnet Forums
Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. (/showthread.php?tid=7250409)

Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Gregory of Sherwood Forest - 03-23-2016

Grabbed this a couple weeks ago, just because it was such an interesting piece. The plate is stamped "C. Disston PHILADA". I'm going to have to do a little research on that, as dates don't immediately spring to mind for that stamp. Pretty early, I'm guessing.

It appears to have been adapted from a saw plate. The handle is double pinned, brass and iron, and is well shaped, with a round button where it meets the plate. The plate is in good condition (other than the reshaping, of course) and it is actually still a bit sharp.

Just interesting. What's your take?

PICS:

Your thoughts? Ever see anything like this before?

EDIT TO ADD:
I found out that it is indeed a production tool. Anyone care to guess what it is used for?

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Anak - 03-23-2016

Gregory of Sherwood Forest said:

Just interesting. What's your take?

Place a couple of those in the hands of Varmints and watch them destroy a house full of furniture.

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Joe Bailey - 03-24-2016

pretty sure that's a butcher's implement

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - ken in fallbrook - 03-24-2016

I saw a drawing of an early saw from the builders of the piramids. Your saw looks like the drawing to me.

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Martin S. - 03-24-2016

I got one a few years back.

I have seen them advertised on ebay as a "civil war surgeon's saw", like for amputations.

I think I bought mine because it was unique.

I'd love to see proof it was used for civil war surgery.

Let me know if you find it.

Someone else has suggested it might make a good bread knife/saw.

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Andrew Jordan - 03-24-2016

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/Disston/tools/brHouse-sawKnife/sawKnife.asp

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - mbholden - 03-24-2016

There was one for sale at the Ohio chapter of SAPFM last weekend. We all played with it, but it went back home with the seller.

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Steve Friedman - 03-24-2016

Andrew Jordan said:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/Disston/tools/brHouse-sawKnife/sawKnife.asp

Great link, but I'm guessing it won't stop people from trying to sell these as Civil War amputation devices. From the article, it seems that the company wasn't even started until the war was about over.

Steve

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Bibliophile 13 - 03-24-2016

Very odd that the stamp (looks like a stamp and not an etch?) is upside-down from the position of the teeth, which is very odd for a saw maker.

It's an awfully thin saw to be cutting on the push stroke, too. But it's hard to tell without picking it up, I suppose.

Re: Ever see a Disston Saw Sword??? PICS. - Rob Young - 03-24-2016

Bibliophile 13 said:

Very odd that the stamp (looks like a stamp and not an etch?) is upside-down from the position of the teeth, which is very odd for a saw maker.

It's an awfully thin saw to be cutting on the push stroke, too. But it's hard to tell without picking it up, I suppose.

As a butcher's tool, it may need a touch of flex. Knife for flesh & connective tissues. Saw for the occasional bone.

According to the catalog reprints on wkfinetools, it was a pretty short lived venture.