Woodnet Forums
Nova DVR XP Setup - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Nova DVR XP Setup (/showthread.php?tid=7262165)

Nova DVR XP Setup - Frank Booth - 04-09-2016

Hi everyone. I'm a lurker here so you probably wont recognize me but maybe someone can help me.

I recently purchased a new Nova DVR XP lathe and have hit snag. The head-stock lockpin for setup specifically.

it says I need to screw this in to the base of the head-stock before doing anything else, whi9ch I did, and then it leaves me out in the cold; it doesn't really say what to do next????? And how do I tell what is supposed to happen when I screw that lockpin in there and when I have it right? I have it screwed in there and have not turned the lathe on yet for fear of screwing this all up beyond repair.

I went to their site and found no answers. I could wait and call tomorrow but I would like an answer from an actual user rather than some tech guy that doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Frank

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - Arlin Eastman - 04-09-2016

Frank

I give you a big welcome and hope you are here posting all the time now.
I know several guys here have the Nova and they will be talking to you, but I do not know anything about them.

Arlin

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - Frank Booth - 04-09-2016

Thank you Arlin. Take care.

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - MichaelMouse - 04-09-2016

Page 13 of the manual? Go to P20 for instructions on swiveling the headstock, if you haven't already.

I'll go check that out but I'm sure Ive looked at it already. Ive scoured that thing. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The instructions are a bit lacking it seems. I just want to know why I have screwed that bar in there and changed my 90 degree setting? For what purpose? Now that Ive changed my 90 then how do I know that it is changed correctly? Is there a system to make sure you are at true 90? And also am I ready to turn the dang thing on now or will I ruin this bar thing setup? It seems the factory would have set that. I may have to call them.

Thank you,

Frank

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - MichaelMouse - 04-09-2016

Changed the 90 degree? Is the release handle engaged in the 90 degree detent?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=alig...amp;FORM=VDFSRV

Thank you so much Michael! I think that answered it.

So if I understand - That bar is simply to lock the head-stock? And then when you want to turn the head-stock then that bar needs to be loosened and re-tightened? I think that's right.

Man I was so lost....lol. I was confounded that I couldn't find this covered anywhere. Thank you for answering this for me! I just told my wife that a man with the handle MichaelMouse has saved a year of my life by relieving this stress. I was stress SWEATING.....man alive

Take care,

Frank

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - n7bsn - 04-09-2016

Yes that "bar" just locks it down.

Before you tighten it down, make certain it's aligned with the tail-stock.

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - MichaelMouse - 04-10-2016

n7bsn said:

Yes that "bar" just locks it down.

Before you tighten it down, make certain it's aligned with the tail-stock.

You're welcome, Frank. I like the DVR, but surviving without.

They make what I refer to as a "biological impossibility" device for precise alignment, but eyeballing point to point is well within spindle tolerances.

My 3000 featured an "easily (mis)adjustable tailstock" which has needed a couple resets in the last eight years.

Re: Nova DVR XP Setup - NCPaladin - 04-10-2016

At the 4 minute mark in the video it shows unlocking/releasing the headstock. Other may disagree but he takes at least a full turn with the bar to unlock it to hand tight (four 1/4 turns). With the bar you have a LOT of leverage. When I tighten I turn it hand tight then use the bar for only about 1/4 turn and have never had it vibrate. You tailstock has a much shorter lever and it takes only about 1/4 turn to lock it.

I believe you will really enjoy the feature. I rotate mine out to about the 22.5* for almost bowl/platter/box work once the tailstock can be taken away.