Woodnet Forums
X-Style Trestle Base - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: X-Style Trestle Base (/showthread.php?tid=7278989)

X-Style Trestle Base - SFlagg - 05-06-2016

Does anyone have any experience building an X-style trestle table? My in-laws have asked that I build them one, and while I've built trestles before, never an X-style.

Looking for advice on the Xs... half-lap joinery comes to mind immediately, but I'm not sure if that's the optimal approach. FYI, the inlaws want the legs to be ~3.5" square, so the half-lap would be 1.75." Walnut is the material.

Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - Bibliophile 13 - 05-06-2016

Half-lap is the usual approach.

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - SFlagg - 05-06-2016

Thanks Steve - glad my gut building ideas were correct.

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - ShovelMan - 05-06-2016

If you start with 5 x 5 and shape it so the joints are heavier it will look and be sounder and will not look like it belongs on the deck.

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - Bill Holt - 05-07-2016

Hey, Steve, I'm building an "X-brace" Trestle table and one bench for my daughter-n-law. I have the bases finished and started on the bench top yesterday. I do not have a way to post pictures here, but if you are interested, I can email some to you. Better yet, come take a look for your self...I'll put a broom in your hand. Just kidding.

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - SFlagg - 05-10-2016

Thank you both - Bill, as always, that's a fantastic project and the pictures are terrific.

ShovelMan - I will explore that option as well. Won't have a chance to continue this project until next month, so there is ample time to think about the next step.

Steve

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - PaulC - 05-10-2016

Shannon Rogers (Renaissance Woodworker) has a video series where he builds that very thing. It's worth watching.

Re: X-Style Trestle Base - rwe2156 - 05-14-2016

1/2 lap and I would put a screw from the bottom just because its a semi-X grain glue up.

Or use epoxy.