Woodnet Forums
A more traditional saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A more traditional saw (/showthread.php?tid=7287028)

A more traditional saw - RonB1957 - 05-20-2016

I promised I would put a square plate on my next classic series dove tail saw just to be more traditional. I just couldn't help myself, however and used black mother of pearl inlays for the saw fasteners. I just never could stay in between the lines.
Smile So there you have it. 38* Ebony closed dovetail. 12" x 2" canted 0.020" plate. Filed the standard 16ppi x 8* rake x 0*fleam. I put a few scratches in it from laying around in my shop. Shop pics. to boot.

Re: A more traditional saw - wmickley - 05-21-2016

A traditional dovetail saw is about 9 inches long with an open handle. Adding length adds weight and moment to the saw, which is undesirable for something we flick around like a dovetail saw.

Re: A more traditional saw - blackhat - 05-21-2016

So don't buy one from Ron.

Re: A more traditional saw - Admiral - 05-21-2016

blackhat said:

So don't buy one from Ron.

Or, OTOH, do, and chop off 3"!!

Re: A more traditional saw - Window Guy - 05-21-2016

Oh wow, that is a beauty I don't care what anyone say's. I wish I could afford that.

Steve

Re: A more traditional saw - Acorn - 05-21-2016

I'd just like to say that this saw is a beauty. I'd be proud to own one like it. Thanks for posting Ron.

Re: A more traditional saw - Timberwolf - 05-21-2016

Crispy...sweet!!!!!!!!!

Re: A more traditional saw - SCMedLion - 05-21-2016

Absolutely love the fasteners against that choice of wood. Gorgeous!

Re: A more traditional saw - cputnam - 05-21-2016

Now that I've seen your square, as gorgeous as it is, I've got to say I prefer your rounded plates.

Re: A more traditional saw - RonB1957 - 05-21-2016

wmickley said:

A traditional dovetail saw is about 9 inches long with an open handle. Adding length adds weight and moment to the saw, which is undesirable for something we flick around like a dovetail saw.

Only meant in the sense the plate is square. Not my usual shaped plate. Some "dove tail" saws were in fact even 8". It does add moment to the saw. It also cuts faster with fewer strokes and shaped plates were probably around long before square plates. A traditional tool is only as traditional as the current trend deems it to be and trends are more often than not manipulated by writers, self promoting tool makers, and others with a monetary agenda. ie: marketing